Paulo Jr. also scored for Salt Lake (16-11-4), which took over sole possession of second in the West. Salt Lake began the day tied with idle Los Angeles and one point ahead of Seattle, which had a draw at Vancouver.
Chivas (7-16-7) remained last in the West after losing their sixth consecutive match and saw their scoreless streak reach a season-high 442 minutes.
Saborio scored two early goals to help give Salt Lake a 2-0 lead after 12 minutes. He completed his hat trick in the 65th minute when he hit the underside of the crossbar and saw the ball bounce over the goal line in the 65th minute.
- Bradley to make 100th appearance as US opens Gold Cup
- American forward Bobby Wood joins Union Berlin
- CONCACAF details rebuilding plans after FIFA bribery scandal
- Juventus extends Allegri's contract through 2017
- Fenerbahce signs Nani from Manchester United
- Jewsbury scores in stoppage time as Timbers beat Earthquakes
- Keys to the US win over Japan in the Women's World Cup final
- Fiji beats Micronesia 38-0 in Pacific Games soccer match
- LA Galaxy midfielder Stefan Ishizaki heads home to Sweden
- FIFA bans former 2018-2022 WCup inspector for 7 years
- Poll: Russians losing interest in soccer ahead of World Cup
- Italy playmaker Andrea Pirlo joins New York from Juventus
- Carli Lloyd becomes Captain America for US women
- Lloyd hat trick leads US over Japan 5-2 for World Cup title
- Eventful Copa America puts an end to Chilean suffering
- Keane's hat trick lifts Galaxy over Toronto FC, 4-0