Lionard Pajoy’s cross set up Boskovic’s header, and United (15-10-5) earned their third straight win and extended the club’s record home unbeaten streak to 15 games.
United moved into a tie for third place in the Eastern Conference, but the New York Red Bulls still hold the first tiebreaker of total goals scored.
Chivas (7-15-7), last in the Western Conference, lost its season-high fifth consecutive game.
United, which dominated early, regained control after halftime and took the lead when Pajoy and Boskovic connected. Pajoy got the ball on the right and curled a cross in toward the near corner of the 6-yard box.
Boskovic, a substitute, made a darting run from near the penalty spot toward the ball, dove in front of a defender and redirected his header inside the left post and beyond Dan Kennedy.
Boskovic, who also has five assists in 22 appearances—including 11 as a sub—signed with D.C. as a designated player in June 2010 before re-signing a less expensive contract this June.
The midfielder could play an expanded role down the stretch with the season-ending injury to captain Dwayne De Rosario sustained earlier this month.
- CONCACAF ends corporate partnership with Traffic Sports USA
- Bradley to make 100th appearance as US opens Gold Cup
- American forward Bobby Wood joins Union Berlin
- CONCACAF details rebuilding plans after FIFA bribery scandal
- Juventus extends Allegri's contract through 2017
- Fenerbahce signs Nani from Manchester United
- Jewsbury scores in stoppage time as Timbers beat Earthquakes
- Keys to the US win over Japan in the Women's World Cup final
- Vanuatu wins 46-0 in Pacific Games football tournament
- LA Galaxy midfielder Stefan Ishizaki heads home to Sweden
- FIFA bans former 2018-2022 WCup inspector for 7 years
- Poll: Russians losing interest in soccer ahead of World Cup
- Italy playmaker Andrea Pirlo joins New York from Juventus
- Carli Lloyd becomes Captain America for US women
- Lloyd hat trick leads US over Japan 5-2 for World Cup title
- Eventful Copa America puts an end to Chilean suffering