Josh Williams got his first MLS goal in the 41st minute for Columbus (11-8-6), which won its third staight and extended its unbeaten streak to 3-0-2.
Carlos Valdes scored off a free kick in the 29th minute as Philadelphia (7-13-4) dropped to 0-3-2 in its last five matches. The Union haven’t won since beating New England on July 29.
Gaven scored from about five yards out to give the Crew the win.
Williams also received a red card in the 69th minute after an altercation with Union forward Antoine Hoppenot.
Philadelphia entered the game with 24 goals, the second-fewest in the 19-team league behind only Chivas USA with 17.
U.S. Women’s national team player Carli Lloyd was an honorary captain and received a large ovation before the game.
- American forward Bobby Wood joins Union Berlin
- Poll: Russians losing interest in soccer ahead of World Cup
- Juventus extends Allegri's contract through 2017
- Fenerbahce signs Nani from Manchester United
- Jewsbury scores in stoppage time as Timbers beat Earthquakes
- Keys to the US win over Japan in the Women's World Cup final
- Fiji beats Micronesia 38-0 in Pacific Games soccer match
- 10-man Orlando City earns 1-1 draw with Real Salt Lake
- CONCACAF details rebuilding plans after FIFA bribery scandal
- FIFA bans former 2018-2022 WCup inspector for 7 years
- Italy playmaker Andrea Pirlo joins New York from Juventus
- Carli Lloyd becomes Captain America for US women
- Lloyd hat trick leads US over Japan 5-2 for World Cup title
- Eventful Copa America puts an end to Chilean suffering
- Keane's hat trick lifts Galaxy over Toronto FC, 4-0
- Doyle's first MLS goal lifts Rapids over Whitecaps, 2-1