Josh Williams got his first MLS goal in the 41st minute for Columbus (11-8-6), which won its third staight and extended its unbeaten streak to 3-0-2.
Carlos Valdes scored off a free kick in the 29th minute as Philadelphia (7-13-4) dropped to 0-3-2 in its last five matches. The Union haven’t won since beating New England on July 29.
Gaven scored from about five yards out to give the Crew the win.
Williams also received a red card in the 69th minute after an altercation with Union forward Antoine Hoppenot.
Philadelphia entered the game with 24 goals, the second-fewest in the 19-team league behind only Chivas USA with 17.
U.S. Women’s national team player Carli Lloyd was an honorary captain and received a large ovation before the game.
- Manchester City thrash Hull to reach League Cup semifinals
- Atletico wins 2-1 at third-tier Reus in Copa del R
- Quotes from voters in this week's AP Global Football 10
- FIFA sponsors demand 'independent oversight' of reforms
- Real Madrid adds defender Carvajal to injured list
- Letter from FIFA sponsors to executive committee on reforms
- Manchester City gets $400M Chinese investment deal
- LA Galaxy's Keane on MLS Best XI for 4th straight year
- Angers holds French league leader PSG to 0-0
- Benzema will respond on national news to growing criticism
- Neymar replaces Suarez atop AP Global Football 10
- Venezuela coach offers to quit if it helps players' dispute
- Marin having trouble coming up with $1M cash bond
- French PM says Benzema has no place on national team
- Shades of Maradona as Higuain leads Napoli to top of Serie A
- Carli Lloyd finalist for FIFA Women's Player of the Year