Dunfield headed a shot from 8 yards off the glove of Houston keeper Tally Hall, off the bottom of the crossbar and into the net.
Toronto (5-15-6, 21 points) has two ties in its past four games.
Houston (11-6-9, 42 points) got its second straight draw and is unbeaten in 10 of its past 11 games.
Will Bruin put Houston ahead 1-0 in the 21st minute, taking a pass from Oscar Boniek Garcia, cutting through two Toronto defenders and chipping a shot from 12 yards in the middle over Toronto FC goalkeeper Freddy Hall and into the net.
Je-Vaughn Watson had a shot from the middle of the box in second-half stoppage time saved by Freddy Hall to maintain the tie.
Off a corner kick, Adam Moffatt had his shot go just over the crossbar in the 81st minute.
Bobby Boswell missed a chance to put Houston ahead 2-0 in the 28th minute, just missing wide of the far post on a kick from the left box. Macoumba Kandji had a header saved by Freddy Hall in the 68th minute from the penalty area.
Luis Silva had a shot from the upper box saved by Tally Hall in the fourth minute. Silva had another shot saved by Tally Hall in the 55th minute from 10 yards.
- Manchester City thrash Hull to reach League Cup semifinals
- Atletico wins 2-1 at third-tier Reus in Copa del R
- Quotes from voters in this week's AP Global Football 10
- FIFA sponsors demand 'independent oversight' of reforms
- Real Madrid adds defender Carvajal to injured list
- Letter from FIFA sponsors to executive committee on reforms
- Manchester City gets $400M Chinese investment deal
- LA Galaxy's Keane on MLS Best XI for 4th straight year
- Angers holds French league leader PSG to 0-0
- Benzema will respond on national news to growing criticism
- Neymar replaces Suarez atop AP Global Football 10
- Venezuela coach offers to quit if it helps players' dispute
- Marin having trouble coming up with $1M cash bond
- French PM says Benzema has no place on national team
- Shades of Maradona as Higuain leads Napoli to top of Serie A
- Carli Lloyd finalist for FIFA Women's Player of the Year