Dunfield headed a shot from 8 yards off the glove of Houston keeper Tally Hall, off the bottom of the crossbar and into the net.
Toronto (5-15-6, 21 points) has two ties in its past four games.
Houston (11-6-9, 42 points) got its second straight draw and is unbeaten in 10 of its past 11 games.
Will Bruin put Houston ahead 1-0 in the 21st minute, taking a pass from Oscar Boniek Garcia, cutting through two Toronto defenders and chipping a shot from 12 yards in the middle over Toronto FC goalkeeper Freddy Hall and into the net.
Je-Vaughn Watson had a shot from the middle of the box in second-half stoppage time saved by Freddy Hall to maintain the tie.
Off a corner kick, Adam Moffatt had his shot go just over the crossbar in the 81st minute.
Bobby Boswell missed a chance to put Houston ahead 2-0 in the 28th minute, just missing wide of the far post on a kick from the left box. Macoumba Kandji had a header saved by Freddy Hall in the 68th minute from the penalty area.
Luis Silva had a shot from the upper box saved by Tally Hall in the fourth minute. Silva had another shot saved by Tally Hall in the 55th minute from 10 yards.
- Portland sends off Angerer and Van Hollebeke with sellout
- F Andrew Wooten gets 1st US call-up for exhibition vs Peru
- United's biggest problems exposed in 2-1 loss at Swansea
- Frankfurt defender Timothy Chandler to have knee surgery
- Montreal Impact fire coach Frank Klopas
- Clark, Rodriguez score; Dynamo beat short-handed Whitecaps
- Doyle's late goal lifts Rapids over Sporting KC, 2-1
- City doesn't waste Chelsea slip, Madrid wins big in Spain
- Bradley Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls fly past DC United, 3-0
- Goals from Martins, Evans give Seattle 2-1 win over Portland
- Man City breaks transfer record again to sign De Bruyne
- Toronto FC beats Impact 2-1
- Orlando City plays Fire to 1-1 draw
- FC Dallas knocks off Real Salt Lake 2-0
- Fagundez youngest to 25 goals, Revolution beat Union 1-0
- Meram lifts Crew over NYCFC, 2-1