Dunfield headed a shot from 8 yards off the glove of Houston keeper Tally Hall, off the bottom of the crossbar and into the net.
Toronto (5-15-6, 21 points) has two ties in its past four games.
Houston (11-6-9, 42 points) got its second straight draw and is unbeaten in 10 of its past 11 games.
Will Bruin put Houston ahead 1-0 in the 21st minute, taking a pass from Oscar Boniek Garcia, cutting through two Toronto defenders and chipping a shot from 12 yards in the middle over Toronto FC goalkeeper Freddy Hall and into the net.
Je-Vaughn Watson had a shot from the middle of the box in second-half stoppage time saved by Freddy Hall to maintain the tie.
Off a corner kick, Adam Moffatt had his shot go just over the crossbar in the 81st minute.
Bobby Boswell missed a chance to put Houston ahead 2-0 in the 28th minute, just missing wide of the far post on a kick from the left box. Macoumba Kandji had a header saved by Freddy Hall in the 68th minute from the penalty area.
Luis Silva had a shot from the upper box saved by Tally Hall in the fourth minute. Silva had another shot saved by Tally Hall in the 55th minute from 10 yards.
- Eventful Copa America puts an end to Chilean suffering
- Keane's hat trick lifts Galaxy over Toronto FC, 4-0
- Doyle's first MLS goal lifts Rapids over Whitecaps, 2-1
- Villa, New York City FC beat Montreal Impact 2-1
- Blatter: French, German presidents tried influence WCup vote
- England beats Germany 1-0 in extra time to finish 3rd
- Earthquakes-Timbers Preview
- 2 Dinamo Zagreb bosses arrested over bribery charges
- Fiji beats Micronesia 38-0 in Pacific Games soccer match
- 10-man Orlando City earns 1-1 draw with Real Salt Lake
- Mauro Diaz leads FC Dallas over Revolution 3-0
- Messi fails again with Argentina's national team
- Finlay scores twice, Crew beat Red Bulls 2-1
- Chile beats Argentina 4-1 on penalties to win Copa America
- AP Exclusive: CONMEBOL head says 'we need total change'
- Galatasaray signs Podolski from Arsenal