Dunfield headed a shot from 8 yards off the glove of Houston keeper Tally Hall, off the bottom of the crossbar and into the net.
Toronto (5-15-6, 21 points) has two ties in its past four games.
Houston (11-6-9, 42 points) got its second straight draw and is unbeaten in 10 of its past 11 games.
Will Bruin put Houston ahead 1-0 in the 21st minute, taking a pass from Oscar Boniek Garcia, cutting through two Toronto defenders and chipping a shot from 12 yards in the middle over Toronto FC goalkeeper Freddy Hall and into the net.
Je-Vaughn Watson had a shot from the middle of the box in second-half stoppage time saved by Freddy Hall to maintain the tie.
Off a corner kick, Adam Moffatt had his shot go just over the crossbar in the 81st minute.
Bobby Boswell missed a chance to put Houston ahead 2-0 in the 28th minute, just missing wide of the far post on a kick from the left box. Macoumba Kandji had a header saved by Freddy Hall in the 68th minute from the penalty area.
Luis Silva had a shot from the upper box saved by Tally Hall in the fourth minute. Silva had another shot saved by Tally Hall in the 55th minute from 10 yards.
- UEFA confirms steroid positive test in Dinamo Zagreb case
- FIFA donates 48 luxury watches to non-profit organization
- Atletico beats Galatasaray 2-0, advances in Champions League
- Juventus beats Man City 1-0 to join it in knockout stage
- Moenchengladbach beats Sevilla 4-2 in Champions League
- Schuerrle steers Wolfsburg to 2-0 win over CSKA Moscow
- United held 0-0 by battling PSV in Champions League
- Chile FF president in Miami after resigning amid FIFA probe
- French authorities extend ban on traveling soccer fans
- Ibrahimovic scores on CL return to Malmo, Juve beats City
- Rooney tells United to be more ruthless after 0-0 vs PSV
- PSG routs Malmo 5-0, advances in Champions League
- Ronaldo stars as Real Madrid beats Shakhtar 4-3
- Jimenez double rescues draw for Benfica at Astana
- While Madrid remains in turmoil, Barcelona keeps on thriving
- Premier League cancels Belgium tournament over terror alert