HOUSTON (AP)—Macoumba Kandji scored twice to lead Houston to a 3-0 win over the Montreal Impact on Saturday night to extend the Dynamo’s unbeaten streak to six games.
Bobby Boswell also scored to help the Dynamo (9-5-7) win their third straight and move into third place in the Eastern Coference. Kandji had his first two-goal game since Oct. 24, 2009, when he was playing for New York.
Montreal (7-13-3) has lost two of three and five of its last seven.
Houston nearly doubled its lead in the 12th minute but Andre Hainault was whistled offsides before his shot from eight yards out on the right box dribbled inside the far post.
Kandji had an open net on a breakaway in the 65th minute after Hainault played him a through ball and Kandji headed it past Ricketts, but Shavar Thomas saved the goal with a tackle from behind in front of the net to keep Houston’s lead at 1-0.
Boswell extended the Dynamo’s lead in the 84th minute with a header from inside the 6-yard box to just inside the far post off Brad Davis’ corner kick. Kandji capped the scoring in the 89th minute.
Sanna Nyassi missed a chance to it at 1-1 in the 79th minute when his shot from 10 yards out in the left box stayed wide of the near post.
- Bradley to make 100th appearance as US opens Gold Cup
- American forward Bobby Wood joins Union Berlin
- CONCACAF details rebuilding plans after FIFA bribery scandal
- Juventus extends Allegri's contract through 2017
- Fenerbahce signs Nani from Manchester United
- Jewsbury scores in stoppage time as Timbers beat Earthquakes
- Keys to the US win over Japan in the Women's World Cup final
- Fiji beats Micronesia 38-0 in Pacific Games soccer match
- LA Galaxy midfielder Stefan Ishizaki heads home to Sweden
- FIFA bans former 2018-2022 WCup inspector for 7 years
- Poll: Russians losing interest in soccer ahead of World Cup
- Italy playmaker Andrea Pirlo joins New York from Juventus
- Carli Lloyd becomes Captain America for US women
- Lloyd hat trick leads US over Japan 5-2 for World Cup title
- Eventful Copa America puts an end to Chilean suffering
- Keane's hat trick lifts Galaxy over Toronto FC, 4-0