HOUSTON (AP)—Macoumba Kandji scored twice to lead Houston to a 3-0 win over the Montreal Impact on Saturday night to extend the Dynamo’s unbeaten streak to six games.
Bobby Boswell also scored to help the Dynamo (9-5-7) win their third straight and move into third place in the Eastern Coference. Kandji had his first two-goal game since Oct. 24, 2009, when he was playing for New York.
Montreal (7-13-3) has lost two of three and five of its last seven.
Houston nearly doubled its lead in the 12th minute but Andre Hainault was whistled offsides before his shot from eight yards out on the right box dribbled inside the far post.
Kandji had an open net on a breakaway in the 65th minute after Hainault played him a through ball and Kandji headed it past Ricketts, but Shavar Thomas saved the goal with a tackle from behind in front of the net to keep Houston’s lead at 1-0.
Boswell extended the Dynamo’s lead in the 84th minute with a header from inside the 6-yard box to just inside the far post off Brad Davis’ corner kick. Kandji capped the scoring in the 89th minute.
Sanna Nyassi missed a chance to it at 1-1 in the 79th minute when his shot from 10 yards out in the left box stayed wide of the near post.
- Suspected match fixer Tan re-arrested a week after release
- Angers holds French league leader PSG to 0-0
- Benzema will respond on national news to growing criticism
- Neymar replaces Suarez atop AP Global Football 10
- Venezuela coach offers to quit if it helps players' dispute
- Marin having trouble coming up with $1M cash bond
- French PM says Benzema has no place on national team
- Shades of Maradona as Higuain leads Napoli to top of Serie A
- Manchester City thrash Hull to reach League Cup semifinals
- Atletico wins 2-1 at third-tier Reus in Copa del R
- Quotes from voters in this week's AP Global Football 10
- FIFA sponsors demand 'independent oversight' of reforms
- Real Madrid adds defender Carvajal to injured list
- Letter from FIFA sponsors to executive committee on reforms
- Manchester City gets $400M Chinese investment deal
- LA Galaxy's Keane on MLS Best XI for 4th straight year