*Real Salt Lake, Sounders play to 0-0 draw*
REAL SALT LAKE 0, SEATTLE 0
SANDY, Utah (AP)—Real Salt Lake drew 0-0 with Seattle on Wednesday night, snapping a three game losing streak and extending the Sounders’ franchise-record winless streak to nine games.
“We are looking at the positives in this game,” RSL coach Jason Kreis said. “That was our first shutout in a long time, and we’re controlling the rhythm and the game and being the aggressors like we need to be at home.”
Seattle (7-5-6) dropped to 0-4-5 during its winless stretch, but was still happy enough to get a road point while struggling.
“We want to be a tough team to beat,” Seattle coach Sigi Schmid said. “We’ve gotten back to that.”
Salt Lake (10-6-3) controlled possession most of the first half and used crisp, accurate passing to try to create some scoring chances though none resulted in goals. It was more of the same in the second half as Salt Lake pressed the attack and tried to position itself for a score more aggressively than Seattle.
Alavaro Saborio tapped in a cross deep into the box from Chris Wingert in the 52nd minute for Salt Lake, but the goal was waved off when Saborio was ruled offside on the play.
“Maybe with a different referee, we would have won the game,” RSL midfielder Kyle Beckerman said. “We scored a legit goal that was called offside that wasn’t offside. So that’s tough to take when we’re working so hard to put the ball in the back of the net.”
For Seattle, the next goal going forward is to get the offense to match the level the defense showed against RSL.
“We need to score one goal, you know, to win games,” Seattle forward Fredy Montero said. “This is going to be our homework for the next game at home.”
- Real Salt Lake 0, Seattle 0 . updates)
- Allardyce decries entrapment as England job ends in disgrace
- United travels to Columbus for pivotal tilt
- Allardyce failed to learn from slip-ups by England managers
- Pjanic and Higuain help Juventus ease to 4-0 win over Dinamo
- Ronaldo scores but Dortmund rallies in latest Madrid setback
- Son gives injury-hit Tottenham victory at CSKA
- Seattle continues playoff push without Dempsey
- Sounders-Real Salt Lake Preview
- Ronaldo and Zidane at peace, but Madrid still not winning
- England coach Allardyce forced out in disgrace after 1 game
- Slimani torments Porto again, Leicester wins 1-0
- Relief for Vietto as Sevilla edges Lyon in Champions League
- Sporting Lisbon eases past Legia Warsaw in Champions League
- Kamil Glik salvages 1-1 draw for Monaco against Leverkusen
- Copenhagen beats Club Brugge 4-0