*Real Salt Lake, Sounders play to 0-0 draw*
REAL SALT LAKE 0, SEATTLE 0
SANDY, Utah (AP)—Real Salt Lake drew 0-0 with Seattle on Wednesday night, snapping a three game losing streak and extending the Sounders’ franchise-record winless streak to nine games.
“We are looking at the positives in this game,” RSL coach Jason Kreis said. “That was our first shutout in a long time, and we’re controlling the rhythm and the game and being the aggressors like we need to be at home.”
Seattle (7-5-6) dropped to 0-4-5 during its winless stretch, but was still happy enough to get a road point while struggling.
“We want to be a tough team to beat,” Seattle coach Sigi Schmid said. “We’ve gotten back to that.”
Salt Lake (10-6-3) controlled possession most of the first half and used crisp, accurate passing to try to create some scoring chances though none resulted in goals. It was more of the same in the second half as Salt Lake pressed the attack and tried to position itself for a score more aggressively than Seattle.
Alavaro Saborio tapped in a cross deep into the box from Chris Wingert in the 52nd minute for Salt Lake, but the goal was waved off when Saborio was ruled offside on the play.
“Maybe with a different referee, we would have won the game,” RSL midfielder Kyle Beckerman said. “We scored a legit goal that was called offside that wasn’t offside. So that’s tough to take when we’re working so hard to put the ball in the back of the net.”
For Seattle, the next goal going forward is to get the offense to match the level the defense showed against RSL.
“We need to score one goal, you know, to win games,” Seattle forward Fredy Montero said. “This is going to be our homework for the next game at home.”
- The Latest: Aguero finishes as top scorer in Premier League
- Drogba to leave Chelsea again, wants to play 1 more season
- Real Salt Lake extends NYCFC's winless streak to 10 games
- Ignacio Piatti leads Impact past FC Dallas, 2-1
- Valencia grabs Spain's last CL spot; Almeria, Eibar go down
- Monaco claims final Champions League birth
- Benfica celebrates title with sons of fan beaten by police
- Union-Red Bulls Preview
- The Latest: Owner Mike Ashley is staying with Newcastle
- Sounders and Sporting Kansas City play to 0-0 tie
- Colorado beats Vancouver to end 11-game home winless streak
- Arrieta, DC United tie 9-man New England 1-1
- Benfica replaces Porto on preseason tour
- Giovinco lifts Toronto FC past Timbers, 1-0
- Ancelotti: 'I continue at Madrid, or I take yearlong break'
- Orlando City-Earthquakes Preview