Tally Hall finished with two saves for Houston (3-3-3, 12 points) at its new stadium.
Houston had chances to score late, but Perkins stopped Colin Clark from outside the penalty area in the 78th minute, and stopped a short breakaway from Calen Carr in the 87th minute with a sliding save on Carr’s shot from 15 yards.
Portland (2-5-3, 9 points) saw its winless streak extended to three games.
Portland’s Jack Jewsbury left at halftime with a possible hip injury.
- Real Madrid fires coach Carlo Ancelotti
- Norwich back in Premier League after winning playoff final
- Capello set target of World Cup semifinal with Russia
- Palestinians to push forth with bid to oust Israel from FIFA
- Wondolowski nets 100th goal in 1-1 draw with Orlando City
- Union win second straight, beat Red Bulls 2-0
- The Latest: Owner Mike Ashley is staying with Newcastle
- Sounders and Sporting Kansas City play to 0-0 tie
- FIFA defers decision on continental rotation for WCup bids
- Russia plans to use prison labor for 2018 World Cup
- Liverpool's decline leaves Rodgers' future in jeopardy
- Platini: FIFA led by Blatter will always lack credibility
- Player dies in second-division match in Argentina
- The Latest: Aguero finishes as top scorer in Premier League
- Drogba to leave Chelsea again, wants to play 1 more season
- Real Salt Lake extends NYCFC's winless streak to 10 games