The Union struck first in the 40th minute when Philadelphia caught Chivas on a counter as Michael Farfan went around a Chivas defender firing in a cross that deflected off of defender Rauwshan McKenzie and onto the back heel of Adu for the goal.
Philadelphia finished the match with nine men as in the 75th minute when Union attacker Keon Daniel unleashed a hard challenge on Chivas’ midfielder Ryan Smith, receiving a straight red. Ten minutes later, Gabriel Farfan earned a red card for a late challenge on defender James Riley that led to an on the field scuffle.
Juan Pablo Angel made only his second appearance of this season in the 63rd minute after missing five games due to concussion symptoms.
- Bryant Gumbel defends program and co-workers against lawsuit
- With no ambition and a revolt by fans, Newcastle in freefall
- US soccer to play Guatemala on July 3 at Nashville
- FIFA to study Israel-Palestinians dispute on election day
- Martins scores twice, Dempsey adds another as Sounders roll
- Chelsea wins Premier League title for 1st time in 5 years
- 5-year drought ends as Chelsea is champion of England again
- 1 man dead, 14 police hurt in football rioting in Poland
- Earthquakes-Dynamo Preview
- Juventus faces Real test in Champions League semifinals
- 30 people arrested in renewed soccer violence in Poland
- Ex-England striker Greaves in intensive care after stroke
- Nagamura heads in winner for Sporting KC, 1-0 over Chicago
- Barcelona faces Bayern, old coach Guardiola in CL semifinal
- Amid title joy, Mourinho concerned for dad after surgery
- Timbers, Whitecaps play to 0-0 draw in Valeri's return