Dan Kennedy made seven saves for Chivas, but a late rebound fell to the foot of Hainault, who blasted it past the goalkeeper for the defending Eastern Conference champions.
Chivas had its finest scoring chance in the 70th as second half substitute Ryan Smith fired in a cross to a waiting Juan Pablo Angel, who headed the ball just over the net of Dynamo goalkeeper Tally Hall.
Dynamo midfielder Brad Davis, the MLS assists leader in 2011, started for the first time since missing the MLS Cup in November because of a right quad strain.
- Dos Santos to miss Mexico's playoff vs US
- Mourinho charged by English FA after getting Chelsea backing
- Fire breaks out at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow
- Honduras gets semifinal spot CONCACAF Olympic qualifying
- Real Salt Lake eliminates Colorado Rapids from playoff race
- Arsenal beats Manchester United 3-0, Bayern routs Dortmund
- Eriksen gives Tottenham draw at Swansea in Premier League
- Liverpool fires Rodgers; Arsenal knock United off top of EPL
- Liverpool gives up on Rodgers experiment, but maybe too soon
- Swiss refuse to release Venezuelan FIFA suspect on bail
- Barrett scores in stoppage time, Sounders tie Galaxy 1-1
- Mexico beats Haiti to take Olympic qualifying semifinal spot
- FC Dallas clinches playoff berth, sweeps Dynamo with 4-1 win
- Liverpool fires manager Brendan Rodgers
- Rodgers' last match sees Liverpool draw at Everton
- Sanchez scores 2 as Arsenal beats Man United 3-0