*FC Dallas beats New York 2-1 in opener*
FC DALLAS 2, NY RED BULLS 1
Villar’s goal in the 61st minute gave FC Dallas a 2-0 lead. Villar got a through ball from Blas Perez and chipped it over the head of Ryan Meara when the goalie came out of the box to try and defend the shot.
New York’s Kenny Cooper scored in the 78th minute with a shot from the top right corner of the goalie’s box.
The Red Bulls knocked FC Dallas out of the MLS Cup Playoffs last season with a 2-0 win in a wild-card match on the road.
Loyd scored from 10 yards away in the 11th minute, sending a shot into the left corner of the net. Perez assisted on the goal.
Dallas goalkeeper Kevin Hartman, playing in his 16th MLS season, finished with one save. Meara had four stops in his MLS debt.
The Red Bulls did not have a shot until the 44th minute when Thierry Henry almost scored on a free kick (backslash)that hit the right post. New York with 12 shots to 11 for Dallas.
FC Dallas forward David Ferreira, the 2010 MLS MVP, missed the game with an injured right ankle. Ferreira missed most of the 2011 season after breaking his left ankle in the seventh game of the season.
The game was the inaugural MLS broadcast on the NBC Network.
- Statement from suspended UEFA President Michel Platini
- Column: Sepp Blatter, hoisted by his own petard at FIFA
- Juergen Klopp arrives in Liverpool to take charge of club
- Practicing in a car park: WCup qualifying for Somalia's team
- Bach calls for 'external' candidate to take over FIFA
- In Hayatou, FIFA gets another controversial strongman
- Torres scores in 65th minute, Mexico beats Honduras 2-1
- Whitecaps tie FC Dallas 0-0, clinch playoff spot
- The Latest: Platini says allegations against him are 'vague'
- Messi to stand trial in Spain on 3 counts of tax fraud
- Serbian prime minister skips soccer match against Albania
- FIFA suspends Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini for 90 days
- AP Source: Klopp headed to Liverpool to become manager
- Key dates in career of FIFA President Sepp Blatter
- Kljestan, Sam score to lead Red Bulls past Impact, 2-1
- Flores scores in 82nd minute, Costa Rica ties Haiti 1-1