COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—Chad Barrett scored in the third minute of stoppage time as the Los Angeles Galaxy defeated Columbus 1-0 Saturday to extend its unbeaten streak to six games while the Crew remained winless in five.
“Being opportunistic is pretty much what it comes down to,” Barrett said. “It was a header back in. I was running back from the previous attacking play. (Crew defender Julius) James just had a little mix up. Landon a great shot, put it on goal.”
The rebound came to Barrett, who entered in the 84th minute, and he put it in from the left side.
“Hesmer made a great save and it fell right to me at the back post,” Barrett said. “If I hadn’t finished that I pretty much would have hated myself. I’m pretty happy.”
Earlier, Josh Saunders had made three key saves in the final six minutes to give the Western Conference-leading Galaxy (17-3-10) 16 shutouts, one shy of the league mark. They are 5-0-1 in six games.
The Crew (11-11-8) are 0-4-1 in the past five and trail Eastern Conference leader Houston by a point.
“We had chances. We didn’t capitalize,” Hesmer said. “We came out and took it to them. We were going to go down swinging and we did, unfortunately.”
- Chan makes history as female coach of champion men's team
- Neymar and Oscar left out of Brazil's Copa America squad
- Chelsea-Sunderland Preview
- Swansea City-West Ham United Preview
- Fellaini, Huth get 3-match bans following EPL clash
- Slavoljub Muslin appointed as Serbia coach
- Leicester's title-winners primed for a big party with fans
- Madrid beats Man City 1-0 to reach Champions League final
- Chastain, McMillan, Garber make Hall of Fame
- Sevilla, Liverpool advance to Europa League final
- Red Bulls-Orlando City Preview
- Stoke City-Crystal Palace Preview
- Manchester United-Norwich City Preview
- West Brom-Bournemouth Preview
- Madrid rivals return to Champions League final
- Defender Adriano joins list of Barca players probed for tax