Reds score 5 in the 8th to edge Indians 6-5
Frazier and Francisco are competing for the job of backing up veteran Scott Rolen.
Frazier has minor league options left and Francisco doesn’t. But Frazier is a better defensive player and has hit a team-leading five home runs. Francisco was slowed with a calf injury early in camp and was overweight but has hit four home runs, including two in the past two games.
“They’ve had a lot of at-bats,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “The final spots are the toughest to make if you have a good team. If you don’t have a good team, you don’t have as many options.”
Frazier has prepared for whatever is decided.
“I have put things together whether I go to Cincinnati or Louisville,” Frazier said. “They haven’t told me anything yet.”
Jeanmar Gomez left the game with a mildly strained hip after 3 2/3 innings.
The Cleveland pitcher stretched for a return throw from shortstop Cabrera to complete a double play in the bottom of the fourth inning. He threw two balls to Chris Heisey before he was removed.
“Gomez was doing very well until that mild hip sprain,” Indians manager Manny Acta said. “We didn’t want to take any chances with him. He had a little trouble pushing off and looked uncomfortable. This does not eliminate him from fifth spot consideration.”
The fifth spot is between Gomez and Kevin Slowey, who allowed seven earned runs in five innings in a minor league game.
Wheeler found out earlier in the day that he made the Indians’ opening day roster.
Notes: RHP Jairo Asencio reported to the Indians camp after he was acquired from Atlanta on Thursday. He will try to earn a bullpen spot by pitching Saturday and Monday. … Carlos Santana hit his fourth home run of the spring for Cleveland. … The Reds are down to 12 pitchers, including non roster LHP Jeff Francis, who will start against the San Francisco Giants on Saturday. … Former Ohio State running back Beanie Wells threw out the first pitch. The pitch from the Arizona Cardinals running back was caught by LaMarre, a University of Michigan graduate.
- Davis, Diamondbacks win again as Arizona edges Pittsburgh 4-2
- Donaldson, Blue Jays complete $28.65 million, 2-year deal
- Moreland's $5.7M deal with Rangers avoids arbitration
- Astros designated hitter Gattis has sports hernia surgery
- Darvish feeling strong in rehab, eager to rejoin Rangers
- RHP Mat Latos agrees to $3M, 1-year deal with White Sox
- Pirates-Diamondbacks Preview
- Belt, Giants agree at $6.2 million just before hearing
- JD Martinez, Tigers finalize $18.5 million, 2-year deal
- Astros beat Castro in arbitration, catcher gets $5 million
- Tanaka throws off mound after offseason elbow surgery
- Clippard says D-backs' potential drew him to Arizona