Still waiting to hear the commissioner’s decision on the appeal of his suspension, Kenny Rogers is expected to make his scheduled start when the Texas Rangers continue their four-game series with the Baltimore Orioles.
Rogers went before commissioner Bud Selig on Friday to appeal his 20-game ban for shoving two TV cameramen last month.
Major League Baseball spokesman Pat Courtney said there was no timeline as to when Selig would announce a decision on the appeal. On Monday, Rangers manager Buck Showalter said he expected the 40-year-old left-hander, who is 11-4 with a 2.71 ERA, to take the mound on Tuesday.
Despite his problems, Rogers has still been effective, going 2-0 with a 4.05 ERA in his last three starts. His weakest outing of the stretch was Thursday’s 6-4 loss to Oakland in which he allowed four runs and eight hits over six innings.
The Rangers ended their five-game losing streak with a 4-2 win on Monday. Alfonso Soriano had three hits, including a home run, and drove in two runs for Texas.
Joaquin Benoit held Baltimore to four hits over five scoreless innings in his second start of the season.
“It’s really big. We come off losing five games in a row and I think this way, we just kind of wake up everybody,” Benoit said. “It wasn’t the best game of our lives, but it was a good way to start.”
It was a bad night all around for Baltimore. Not only did the Orioles lose their season high-tying sixth straight, they learned during the game that San Diego first baseman Phil Nevin rejected a proposed trade that would have sent him to the Orioles for pitcher Sidney Ponson.
Nevin had the right to reject a deal to eight teams, including Baltimore.
The Orioles could use Nevin considering they have scored more than five runs only once since the All-Star break. Javy Lopez, who came off the DL Monday after missing two months with a broken hand, went 0-for-4 and is hitting .271 with seven homers and 22 RBIs.
Jay Gibbons homered and Melvin Mora had three hits on Monday for the Orioles, who dropped to two games above .500 for the first time since April 21. The third-place Orioles trail Boston by 3 1/2 games in the AL East.
After the loss, Baltimore manager Lee Mazzilli decided to cancel batting practice Tuesday and ordered the players to show up just 95 minutes before the scheduled 7:05 p.m. start.
“We’re going to lay off the pregame hitting. These are hot days, and I think we’re trying a little bit too hard,” he said. “Sometimes you just go and strap it on and get 15 hits in a game.”