Recalled from Triple-A Syracuse on Sunday to replace struggling right-hander David Bush, Gaudin will make his first start since June 27, when he lost to the Florida Marlins 11-4 while pitching for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
Gaudin will take Bush’s spot in Toronto’s rotation after going 3-2 with a 2.48 ERA in 10 starts at Syracuse.
“He’s pitched really well in Triple-A and he deserves to be up here,” Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi said. “Out of all the guys down there he’s the one who’s most ready.”
Bush was sent down to the minors after going 0-5 with a 4.89 ERA. Toronto lost eight of his 10 starts.
“Based on the way we’ve been doing when I’ve been pitching, I can’t be entirely surprised,” Bush said of his demotion.
Losers of three of four, the Blue Jays began their 13-game road trip with a 4-3 loss to veteran lefty Jamie Moyer and the Mariners on Monday.
Toronto’s Ted Lilly, who had won two straight starts, pitched 4 2-3 innings, allowing four runs and six hits with three walks and three strikeouts. The Blue Jays dropped to 5-5 when he starts.
Since sweeping the Boston Red Sox last week at the Rogers Centre, the Blue Jays offense has sputtered, scoring just 12 runs over four games.
The Mariners, in third place in the AL West, have won three straight games for the first time this season.
Richie Sexson hit a two-run homer and drove in three runs in Monday’s victory.
Moyer pitched six solid innings for his 131st win with Seattle, passing Randy Johnson to become the club’s career leader. Moyer allowed one run and four hits with two walks and two strikeouts, but reliever Julio Mateo made things interesting when he gave up two solo homers while recording only two outs in the seventh.
Blog Coverage from SB Nation
- Blue Jays-Mariners Preview
- Nationals hold off Giants' rally in 9th in 4-2 win
- Diaz's homer helps Cardinals beat Marlins and Fernandez, 5-4
- Angels walk off with 2 runs on Ramirez's error, beat Sox 2-1
- Hamels gives ace performance in Rangers' 3-2 win over Royals
- Rangers' Hamilton feeling no pain 7 weeks after knee surgery
- Blue Jays 9, Mariners 7
- Sale loses in White Sox return, Chapman saves Cubs' 3-1 win
- Familia falters again, Rockies rally for 2-1 win over Mets
- Kepler homers to lead Twins in 6-2 win over Orioles
- Altherr makes big return in first game back for Phillies
- Giants acquire All-Star infielder Eduardo Nunez from Twins