Wil Cordero, batting after Vladimir Guerrero was ejected for arguing Shawn Green’s disputed home run, drove in the tying and go-ahead runs in the eighth inning Tuesday as the Expos beat the Dodgers 7-5 for their sixth straight win.
Montreal also won six in a row from June 5-11.
The Expos picked up a game in the wild-card standings, closing within 4 1/2 games of the Philadelphia Phillies. The Dodgers are five games back.
Hernandez has won three straight starts and is 7-1 in his last 10 outings. The Cuban right-hander has pitched consecutive complete games and leads the NL with six. He pitched a five-hitter and struck out nine Friday in a 4-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants.
“I just try to do my job,” Hernandez said of beating his former team. “I want to win and I want to do the best I can and go out there and treat them like any team, not to waste a lot of pitches.”
He hasn’t wasted many pitches lately. Hernandez has five complete games in his last nine starts, and his shortest outing in his last 10 is seven innings.
The Dodgers wasted a strong start from Kevin Brown on Tuesday and lost for the fifth time in 15 games. Brown allowed one earned run in six innings, lowering his major league-leading ERA to 2.25.
STANDINGS: Expos - 4th place, 15 1/2 GB, NL East. Dodgers - 3rd place, 10 GB, NL West.
EXPOS PROBABLE STARTER: Hernandez (13-7, 3.08 ERA). Hernandez is 5-10—his most losses against any team—with a 4.78 ERA in 17 career games against the Dodgers.
DODGERS PROBABLE STARTER: Wilson Alvarez (2-1, 2.72 ERA). Alvarez makes his 14th appearance and fifth start of the season. Pitching on three days’ rest, the veteran left-hander limited the Florida Marlins to a run and four hits in six innings of the Dodgers’ 2-1 loss in 11 innings last Wednesday. He is 0-0 with a 10.38 ERA in one lifetime game against Montreal.
OFFENSIVE LEADERS: Expos - Jose Vidro, .324 avg.; Orlando Cabrera, 17 HRs, 67 RBIs, 80 runs and 20 SBs. Dodgers - Paul Lo Duca, .288 avg.; Jeromy Burnitz, 25 HRs and 62 RBIs; Shawn Green, 64 runs; Dave Roberts, 31 SBs.
SEASON SERIES: Tied, 2-2.
STREAKS AND NOTES: Expos - Hernandez has eight complete games and three shutouts in August, his best month in both those categories. … Montreal’s victory Tuesday was just its fourth in its last 18 road games. … Expos pinch-hitters are 1-for-21 (.048) in 17 games since July 31. Dodgers - Los Angeles has hit 14 homers in the last 15 games. … SS Cesar Izturis was not in the starting lineup Tuesday because of flulike symptoms. … OF Burnitz has hit in seven straight games, going 10-for-27 (.370) during that span.
ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Expos - 24-37 on the road; Dodgers - 34-27 at home.
INJURIES: Expos - C Michael Barrett (hip), 15-day DL; 3B Fernando Tatis (chest), 15-day DL; RHP Orlando Hernandez (shoulder), 15-day DL; RHP Dan Smith (shoulder), 15-day DL; LHP Scott Stewart (appendicitis), 15-day DL; RHP Claudio Vargas (shoulder), 15-day DL; RHP Tony Armas Jr. (shoulder), 60-day DL. Dodgers - C Todd Hundley (back), 15-day DL; 1B Fred McGriff (abductor muscle), 15-day DL; OF Brian Jordan (knee), 15-day DL; LHP Troy Brohawn (shoulder), 15-day DL; LHP Kazuhisa Ishii (knee), 15-day DL; RHP Darren Dreifort (knee), 60-day DL; LHP Derek Thompson (elbow), 60-day DL.
Blog Coverage from SB Nation
- Giddy Halos fan takes a dive into the waterfall at Angel Stadium
- The 10 most intriguing players of the MLB postseason
- Jon Lester's postseason success provides helpful lesson plan for Royals
- Astros hire A.J. Hinch as new manager
- Scherzer to start Game 1 for Tigers vs Baltimore
- Orioles confident of success, even without stars
- Strasburg's playoff debut, 2 years after shutdown
- Mariners to be aggressive adding bats in offseason
- Adam Dunn not in A's lineup for wild-card game against Royals
- Longtime Royals fan remembers what's important about enjoying baseball
- AL wild card preview: The Royals and A's fight for their postseason lives
- A's Lester, Royals' Shields in AL wild-card focus
- Dodgers using down time to heal up for playoffs
- Angels' Hamilton says he's OK for playoffs
- Red Sox RHP Buchholz has minor knee surgery
- Yanks outfielder Carlos Beltran has elbow surgery