Yahoo Contributor Network
This article was created on the Yahoo Contributor Network, where users like you are published on Yahoo every day. Learn more »Yahoo Contributor Network
Top five most loyal MLB fan bases
The popularity of Major League Baseball as a whole has come and gone quite a bit in the last couple of decades. The strike from the mid 1990s really hurt the popularity of the sport. Just a few short years ago, the steroid era hurt the popularity of the game badly. The league has been able to quietly grow more popular with the fan base around the world over the last few years. As always, some baseball cities have much more loyal fan bases than others. Which fan bases top the charts for the most loyal fans in the game? Let's take a closer look.
Top Five Most Loyal MLB Fan Bases
5. St. Louis Cardinals - Everyone who knows baseball will tell you that Busch Stadium in St. Louis is a great place to see a baseball game. The primary reason it is such a great spot to see a game is the tremendous fans. Cardinals fans are passionate, but they are also very knowledgeable about the game. Albert Pujols(notes) has been giving them plenty to cheer about for quite some time, and they definitely hope he stays for a long time.
4. New York Yankees - Yankee Stadium is packed on a nightly basis, and the fans here are extremely passionate about the game. It isn't an easy fan base to please, but that is because they demand the best out of their players. Sometimes they can be a little too tough on players, but most athletes thrive in this type of environment. The new Yankee Stadium was the third most expensive stadium in the world, and it has received solid reviews.
3. Philadelphia Phillies - Philadelphia is a great sports town overall, but the Phillies are absolutely adored by many in this city. The Phillies have been in the top three in baseball in overall attendance at home games in each of the last two years. The fans create a tremendous atmosphere that makes it difficult on players from the opposite team. During the 2010 season, the Phillies surpassed the 100 game consecutive sellout mark.
2. Chicago Cubs - The Cubs have been referred to as the "lovable losers" for many years. Chicago's north side is a beautiful place to watch a baseball game, and the fans here pile in despite the lack of a winner on the field. The Cubs haven't won the World Series since 1908. Cubbies fans are eternal optimists, and one has to assume that this city will eventually see another World Series winner.
1. Boston Red Sox - For many years the Red Sox fans were in the same boat as the Cubs. There were so many "curses" on the Red Sox that many thought it was impossible for this team to win. The team pulled off the unthinkable in 2004, and they followed it up with another World Series title in 2007. How loyal are these fans? The Red Sox have had 631 consecutive sellouts, which is easily the best in Major League Baseball history. The last time Fenway wasn't packed full was in May of 2003.
ESPN.com "2010 MLB Attendance Report"
More From This Contributor:
Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Sign up here to start publishing your own sports content.