Wed Nov 23 10:08am EST
'Duk's Dozen is a heaping morning serving of baseball items, links and takes — designed to keep you warm all offseason long.
1. A lack of team victories may have been the only thing that prevented Matt Kemp(notes) from winning the NL MVP on Tuesday, but you have to love the way the Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder responded to the disappointment of finishing second to Ryan Braun(notes). Though his 2011 line of .324/.399/.586 with 39 homers and 126 RBIs was certainly MVP worthy, Kemp pledged to eliminate any other choice for the voters by posting an even bigger 2012.
"I'm going to go 50-50 next year," he said. "I'm telling you, y'all created a monster. I'm about to get back in the weight room super tough so I can be as strong as I was last year. … Forty-forty is tough, so 50-50 will be even tougher, but anything can happen. I have to set my limits high so I can try to get to them as much as I can. I'm going to try for 50-50, which has never been done.[...]"
"I'm telling you, y'all created a monster." That might be my favorite quote of the year. Being the first-ever player to hit 50/50 might be a pipe dream, but that type of sight-setting is exactly the type of thing you want to be hearing from a guy who just inked an eight-year deal worth $160 million. He's made a fan of me. Sons of Steve Garvey
3. BLS REMINDER! You still have plenty of time to win our contest for one of three copies of the official 2011 World Series film. Click through for details. Big League Stew
5. There are a lot of takes on the new CBA out there Wednesday morning, but few are echoing what agent Scott Boras is contending. He believes that the deal hurt franchise values as potential buyers of downtrodden franchises won't have as great of an opportunity to rebuild through the amateur draft. Washington Post
6. Would you rather receive a lump of coal or a selection of four Chicago Cubs tickets in your Christmas stocking? Before you answer that, take a look at the four games the Cubs are trying to stick you with. Yeesh. Hire Jim Essian!
7. "Bald Vinny" isn't happy about the New York Yankees raising the prices of their bleacher tickets to $20 and $12 from $15 and $5. As someone who lives in Chicago where both sides of town price their bleachers ridiculously high, I don't want to have that much sympathy for Vinny and his pals. But I've also sat in the bleachers at the old stadium and if the seats in the new one are similar, five bucks was too high of a price to pay in the first place. CBS New York
11. One connection I didn't make after reading the CBA summary. Should the requirement for mandatory attendance at the All-Star game be dubbed "The Jeter Clause"? NY Daily News
12. We still have a few more posts to drop Wednesday and we'll weigh in on any big news if it breaks over the weekend. But we'd like to take this chance to wish you a warm and happy Thanksgiving. We're most thankful for you, the readers. Safe travels, everyone. BLS