Wed Mar 21 09:47am EDT
Baseball is back! Here at Big League Stew, we'll take a quick dash around the league each morning in an attempt to keep you updated on all the springtime storylines.
• Andy Pettitte has been reintroduced to the core of the Yankees Universe safely.
But if a former Astros teammate had gotten his way, the big lefty would have joined him in the St. Louis Cardinals camp instead. Yep, Lance Berkman says his offseason's pet project was to point Pettitte toward joining him in St. Louis.
"If it had gotten to a certain point — like if he wasn't able to get it worked out with the Yankees — then I was going to go to (GM John Mozeliak)," Berkman told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "He said, 'Hold off.' "
Pettitte said he never really considered signing with any team other than the Yankees. He'll start throwing in Tampa, but obviously won't be in game shape by opening day.
Berkman, meanwhile, will reopen his Roy Oswalt file.
• Actually, Berkman should just hand the file straight to Mozeliak. Joe Strauss of the Post-Dispatch reports that Chris Carpenter has again returned to St. Louis to seek attention for "renewed symptoms" associated with his bulging cervical disc. That's some pretty ominous news for the defending world champs.
• Back to Berkman, for a sec: The great thing about Lance is that not only is he the official "go-to" quote in the Cardinals clubhouse, but he's somehow still the de facto spokesman for ticked-off Astros fans. The Big Puma made big waves on Tuesday when he accused Bud Selig of extorting Jim Crane and making the Houston move into the American League for the 2013 season. I don't think there's any doubt that Berkman will one day butter his bread with a headset in the Astros broadcast booth — and hopefully on a national level, too.
• AZ Snakepit pal Jim McLennan catches up with some MLB Network regulars.
• Loyal Stewie Bailey Arango puts together an All-Star team comprised of the best baseball video game players of all time. Jon Dowd, FTW.
More sports news from the Yahoo! Sports Minute:
Other popular content on the Yahoo! network:
• Giants to give out bubble-gum-chewing Pablo Sandoval bobblehead
• How John Elway's career inspired Peyton Manning
• Video: Clippers' Caron Butler makes fun of Tyler Hansbrough's reaction to run-in
• Y! TV: The reality series you should be watching but probably aren't