A few items to peruse while knowing that every other day of the week is fine, yeah ...
• For the most part, Steve Phillips has been wallpaper during his first month and a half of duty in ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball booth, leaving the asinine statements that will be picked apart by Monday morning bloggers to his co-worker, Joe Morgan.
That abstinence, however, ended during Sunday night's Giants-Mets game when the former Mets GM got a rise out of every Mets fan by drawing up possible fire sale plans for his former squad.
"If the Mets lose again this season, they have to think about breaking up the core. I believe David Wright(notes) is part of the solution, and I believe Jose Reyes is part of the solution. If I were the GM of the Mets, I'd take a look at the $17 million contract of Carlos Beltran(notes)."
Yes, apparently Carlos Beltran, the same player who'd make all of us think long and hard about voting Albert Pujols(notes) for NL MVP, is the reason the Mets haven't reached the postseason the past couple of years. As almost every ticked-off Mets blogger points out this morning, when Joe Morgan immediately disagrees with you and becomes the voice of reason in the booth, something just ain't right. [Metstradamus]
• Sorry, opportunists: FireStevePhillips.com is already up and running. [Fire Steve Phillips]
DAY BASEBALL! White Sox at Blue Jays, 1:07 ET Toronto has won 10 straight against Chicago at Rogers Centre, as well as 14 of 16 overall. The Jays will go for the elusive four-game sweep this afternoon just as Ozzie Guillen returns from his son's graduation.
• Have Mystique and Aura finally moved across the street to new Yankee Stadium? (Or are they just hanging out before being sold off to the highest bidder?) [New Stadium Insider]
• The greatest autographed baseballs of all time. [Home Run Derby]
• Here's your new logo for the 2009 Cardinals season. [Cards Diaspora]
• Hey, can someone tell Dick Cheney it's OK to smile at a baseball game? [DC Sports Bog]
• No truth to the rumor that Dick Cheney was one of the Nats' Park slip-n-sliders during the rain delay the night before. [The Fightins']