February 15, 2011
As in, the four aces of the Philadelphia Phillies and Joe Blanton met with the media in Clearwater on Monday, a press conference that produced this funny exchange:
Reporter: "Cole, you're the only one at this table with a ring. Looking to the guys to your right..."
Blanton: "I know you forget about me, but it's okay."
Of course, Blanton has nothing to be ashamed of. While he isn't the true peer of Roy Halladay(notes), Cliff Lee(notes), Roy Oswalt(notes) or Cole Hamels, he's a league average pitcher — his career ERA+ is 99 — that most teams would love to have as a fourth or fifth starter. 700 Level
2. Anthony SanFilippo jumps aboard the Blanton bandwagon, too. Delco Times
3. Jose Bautista(notes) and the Toronto Blue Jays postpone their arbitration hearing so they can work toward a multi-year deal. Stoeten, meanwhile, tries to figure out the terms that would be palatable when it comes to signing a heretofore one-year wonder. Drunk Jays Fans
6. Those of you who doubt this story about two Orioles fans getting locked into Camden Yards have never filed a story 3-4 hours after the final pitch and had to jump an eight-foot fence in order to get back to a rental car because all of the gates were chained shut. It's happened to me before — I got locked in the Metrodome after a Bears-Vikings game — and I'd estimate that it happens to a beat writer about once a year. Deadspin
7. Someone just uploaded the apex of American pop culture: The Kansas City Royals vs. the Dallas Cowboys in a canoe race during a 1978 episode of SuperTeams. Dennis Leonard wielding a paddle at 3:22 looks like one bad mother. YouTube
9. Sad news for mustache lovers everywhere: Clay Zavada(notes) missed his physical exam on Sunday night and didn't report to D'Backs camp on Monday. He's apparently having second thoughts about his career after Tommy John surgery last spring. AZ Snakepit