March 08, 2010
1. I'm not sure who's in charge of casting for this new Moneyball movie, but they're either not familiar with Paul DePodesta at all or they're just holding a grudge after his years with the Dodgers.
If it's the latter, congrats to Bill Plaschke on his new job in Hollywood!
Rob Neyer is reporting that Michael Lewis told him over the weekend that Jonah Hill (left) is slated to play DePodesta when Moneyball starts shooting this summer. Unless DePodesta also thinks that everything you say is funny so long as you simply increase the volume of your voice, this is probably the worst insult in casting history. Let's hope Lewis actually meant to say "Jonah Keri" or else we're headed for a terrible flick. Sweet Spot
2. Speaking of awkward Dodger-related replacements, Russell Martin(notes) is out 4-6 weeks with a strained groin and Los Angeles will probably have to pencil A.J. Ellis(notes) into its Opening Day lineup. He's 29 and has exactly 13 major league at-bats to his name. Dodger Blue Blog
4. Pete Abe can add covering a baseball-playing Oscar winner to his resume. Extra Bases
6. Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine has turned his world-changing attention toward solving the problem of racism at Wrigley Field. Tremendous Upside Potential
9. One Pirates fan thinks the McLouth contacts story is a red herring. Bucs Dugout
10. The grandstand demolition of old Yankee Stadium finally began on Saturday. NYDN
11. Could Ronan Tynan surface at Fenway Park this season to sing "God Bless America" so he could "tweak the Yankees?" I don't see it happening. Surviving Grady
12. This Reds "Heavy Artillery" card from the Topps Heritage set is pretty sharp looking. If it's indicative of the rest of the throwback cards, I may have to stroll over to Target some time this week and check out a few packs myself. OMGReds