Welcome to 'Duk's Dozen, a streamlined selection of 12 morning-fresh
links and items to start your day. It welcomes
submissions here or via Twitter.
1. As if the Mets needed another medical controversy on their hands, Peter Gammons reports that Jason Bay(notes) and the Red Sox had apparently agreed to a four-year, $60 million deal during the 2009 regular season before a disagreement over the health of his knees nixed the whole thing.
On the bright side, at least Bay wasn't lying when he told the world that the Mets who wanted him the most. NESN
2. Here's a collection of NY Post back covers from the 2000s that were Mets-themed. That Mike Piazza(notes) "I'm Not Gay" cover is still surreal as it was eight years ago. Amazin' Avenue
3. As details of Felix Hernandez's multi-year deal with the Mariners trickle in, take a look at this great post on the evolution of his fastball. Lookout Landing
4. 'Tis the season to be reporting winter weight losses and Phillies manager Charlie Manuel already looks like MLB's biggest loser. He's dropped 59 pounds on the Nutrisystem plan. The Fightins
5. Evan Longoria(notes) v. David Wright(notes) v. Mark Reynolds(notes)? Our own fantasy gurus examine which third baseman you should nab if you're not lucky enough to land A-Rod. Roto Arcade
6. Albert Pujols(notes) turned the big 3-0 on Saturday with more home runs at that age than Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Barry Bonds(notes). OMG Reds
7. Eric Byrnes(notes) wants to play ball in San Francisco — who wouldn't? — and one Giants fan thinks acquiring him could be a Juan Uribe(notes)-type gamble. Giants Baseball Blog
8. Speaking of risks, I think Xavier Nady(notes) and the Cubs is worth a roll of the dice. FoxSports
9. The umpires are set for the next five years after ratifying their contract. Associated Press
10. Jon Heyman thinks the Mariners and Red Sox have had the best offseasons. SI
11. I like Paul Konerko(notes) as much as the next guy, but there's no way he's going to end up in the Hall of Fame. ATH Baseball via BBTF 12.
Why yes, I would be interested in a reality show featuring Ozzie Guillen and his family. Would anyone have any potential names for such a show? Circling The Bases