June 13, 2013
You'd think recruiting is just a game to UK wide receivers coach Tommy Mainord.
Every time the Wildcats land a commitment, he tweets 'Yahtzee.' But usually, it's more like 'YAHTZEE!!!!!' or in the case of last night, when UK landed the pledge from the nation's No. 1 all purpose back, it was like this:
— Tommy Mainord (@CoachMainordUK) June 13, 2013
Complete with photoshopped blue and white dice and everything. It's catching on. Mark Stoops tweets it now. Neal Brown makes reference to the dice-based game. Athletics director Mitch Barnhart even chimed in with a Yahtzee of his own.
But there were plenty of games Mainord could have chosen from. Why did he land on Yahtzee? Here were other candidates:
1. Uno! - Didn't make much sense once UK got its second commitment.
2. Monopoly - Waiting until they sign and deliver the No. 1 class to use this one, presumably.
3. Battleship - UK is leaving this one to the pros at Annapolis.
4. Jenga - If he tweets this, beware. The class might be falling apart.
5. Pictionary - NCAA rules clearly state a recruit may not take photographs or sign autographs for fans while on visits.
6. Hungry Hungry Hippos - Reserved for when offensive line coach John Schlarman lands a big commit.
7. Taboo - For when the Wildcats flip a commit from a rival school.
8. Chutes and ladders - Recruiting rankings fluctuate every day, folks.
9. Candyland - Probably where Mark Stoops imagines he is when reviewing his recruits.
10. Dominoes - This one would fit, actually, given the momentum generated in recruiting lately.