February 27, 2013
The University of Kentucky has sent out a plan for Commonwealth Stadium and Nutter Training Center upgrades and renovations as it begins it search for a construction firm.
The project will cost approximately $110 million, with a construction budget of $87 million.
Highlights of the proposal impact both the team and the fans. Kentucky will search for its consulting firm through April 2, with designs submitted by April 15 and construction beginning on Dec. 1. The project has an estimated completion date of August 2015.
The full details are below.
The Commonwealth Stadium upgrades are as follows:
• New home team facilities to include a new football locker room, coaches’ lockers, equipment room, taping room, and media/interview room. Vacated spaces will be re‐purposed for other uses.
• New east sideline field access for the football team.
• New Recruiting / Multi‐purpose Room with views to the playing field along east end zone.
• Relocate student seating section to east end zone and provide a unique “student seating”
• Replacement of existing south sideline bench seating to accommodate approximately 2,200 new club seats with a dedicated club lounge areas.
• Provide 16 new suites (14 seats each), a President’s Suite (100 seats), and an Athletic Director’s Suite (30 seats).
• Provide a new full service Kitchen to serve the stadium.
• Relocate and reconfigure the existing Press Box.
• Provide a new Team Store with high visibility and access from the outside/inside of the stadium.
• Increase accessible seating areas along the upper concourse.
• Replace existing Concession / Restrooms areas at the north and south of the stadium.
• Renovate and expand the existing Wildcat Den.
• Increase the size of the Staff Locker Room along the south sideline.
• Renovate and increase the size of the Visitor Locker Room and Visiting Coaches Locker
• Relocate the Officials Locker Room along the south sideline.
• Upgrades to the stadium signage and graphics.
• Provide new exterior precast façade to enhance the aesthetics of the stadium and hide exposed structural steel columns and corner ramps.
• Upgrade original stadium light poles.
• Provide video security cameras on the concourses and perimeter of the stadium.
In NUTTER TRAINING CENTER, the renovation goals are as follows:
Expand and renovate the existing weight room, including the creation of a new mezzanine area to accommodate cardio equipment.
• Expand and renovate the existing athletic training/sports medicine area.
• New student‐athlete dining area with full‐service kitchen.
• New football team lounge area.
• Provide a new central receiving/storage pre‐engineered building.
• Provide a new Sports Turf Storage pre‐engineered building.