Allegations: Robert Marve
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided multiple extra benefits to Robert Marve during his brief career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
• Drinks and VIP access during strip club visits to Solid Gold, The Cheetah and Tootsie’s Cabaret. Shapiro said one such visit occurred in late August 2008. Shapiro said he took Marve and wideout Kayne Farquharson to Solid Gold after Marve told him he had been having problems with his girlfriend.
• Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro’s $6 million Miami Beach mansion on multiple occasions.
• At least one cash gift.
• At least two dinners at Prime 112 steakhouse.
• Transportation by Shapiro’s bodyguards and Miami staffer Sean Allen.
• Drinks and VIP access at nightclubs on multiple occasions.
• Drinks and VIP access at nightclubs on multiple occasions. One such night included an October 2008 night after a home loss to Florida State, in which the booster took Marve and others to Cameo Theater.
• At least two meals at Miami Beach’s Prime 112, including a group dinner in February 2008.
• One source corroborated Shapiro’s account of paying for VIP access, drinks and entertainment for Marve at multiple strip clubs. The source also corroborated Shapiro’s account of the booster paying for a visit by Marve and Farquharson to Solid Gold strip club in late August 2008.
• Yahoo! Sports also acquired the August 2008 bill for Shapiro’s American Express black card, which shows $3,765 in charges from “Golden Eateries” on the night of Aug. 27 and morning of Aug. 28, and another charge of $3,900 on the night of Aug. 30 from the same establishment. “Golden Eateries” is the billing name which appeared on statements for charges from Solid Gold strip club.
• Yahoo! Sports viewed government testimony by Sherwin Jarol in which he expounds on strip club visits with Shapiro. A source told Yahoo! Sports that Jarol was testifying about two trips with Shapiro to Solid Gold in August 2008. In his testimony, Jarol talks about Miami athletes being in attendance on one trip, and also the men’s head basketball coach for the Hurricanes being on hand for another. The testimony appears to match up with the pair of charges on Shapiro’s credit cards in August 2008.
• Two sources corroborated Shapiro having paid for at least two dinners for Marve at Prime 112 steakhouse.
• Two sources corroborated Shapiro’s bodyguards and Miami staffer Sean Allen providing Marve with transportation at the request of the booster.
• Three sources corroborated Marve receiving drinks and VIP access at nightclubs such as Mansion and Opium Garden from Shapiro.
• Yahoo! Sports also acquired photos showing Marve in Shapiro’s VIP section of a nightclub in October 2008. In one of the photos, both Marve and then-Miami basketball assistant coach Jorge Fernandez were present with Shapiro in the booster’s VIP section.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired Shapiro’s October 2008 credit card statement, showing a charge to Cameo Theater the night of that season’s home loss to Florida State.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired Shapiro’s February 2008 American Express Platinum card statement, showing a charge for a group dinner at Prime 112.
In Shapiro’s words
• “Robert Marve I met early on when he came to the University of Miami. He was actually a kid that I liked probably more than any of the guys that I dealt with. He was really a good kid, tried hard, and was really, like, I don’t know the word. He had a lot of spirit to him. He was a go-getter and he was a leader. He was always given the raw deal by [coach] Randy Shannon. I don’t think they were ever fair with him.”
• “He was privy to my house. He came a number of times. I’d given him cash a few times. … He was at the clubs with me a number of times.”
Nevin Shapiro’s cell phone providers condensed his calling records from 2002 to 2008 and deleted the booster’s text messaging records prior to 2009. Despite a significant portion of his records being expunged, Yahoo! Sports was able to identify 91 calls or texts between Shapiro and Robert Marve from September 2007 to the booster’s incarceration in 2010. This is a page showing communication between the booster and a phone number linked to Marve. PDF file
This page from Shapiro’s October 2008 American Express Platinum card statement shows a charge of $1,610.51 which the booster identified as a tab for alcohol in his VIP section at Cameo following Miami’s home loss to Florida State that season. Shapiro said he entertained at least five players in his section that night, including Robert Marve, Randy Phillips, Jacory Harris, Dedrick Epps and Gavin Hardin. PDF file
This page from Shapiro’s February 2008 American Express Platinum card statement shows a charge of $2,458.73 for a dinner at Prime 112 the booster says was attended by several individuals, including Robert Marve. Shapiro said he ordered multiple dishes, appetizers and bottles of wine for a large group of people, and that Marve arrived and ate from the large table of food. On this particular night, Shapiro said he also had to personally request that Marve be allowed to dine in the restaurant, after the player arrived in sweatpants. A second source in attendance corroborated the incident. PDF file
This page from Shapiro’s August 2008 American Express black card statement shows multiple charges to Prime 112 and Solid Gold strip club which he says have Miami ties. Shapiro said he took Miami basketball coach Frank Haith to a dinner at Prime 112 late that month, along with several women and one of his investors, Sherwin Jarol. Shapiro said he also took Jarol to two Solid Gold strip club visits late that month – one with Haith, and a second visit with Hurricanes players Robert Marve and Kayne Farquharson, who were both suspended from Miami’s season-opening game that month. Jarol expounded on the Prime 112 dinner and strip club visits while testifying to federal prosecutors during Shapiro’s Ponzi case, affirming the presence of “the coach from the Miami basketball team” and “a couple of football players [from] … the university of Miami.” Shapiro’s American Express black card shows $2,893.26 in charges to Prime 112 on Aug. 27, 2008, and $3,765 in charges to Solid Gold (listed as “Golden Eateries”) on the night of the 27th and morning of the 28th. Two days later, there is a second visit to Solid Gold, displaying $3,900 in charges. PDF file
Marve declined to comment through Purdue sports information director Tom Schott.