Allegations: James Bryant
Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided multiple extra benefits to James Bryant during his career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claimed to have provided:
• Drinks and VIP access at nightclubs on multiple occasions. One such incident included a May 2005 event at Mansion nightclub featuring Jay Z.
• Entertainment on Shapiro’s $1.6 million yacht.
• Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro’s $6 million mansion.
• A handful of small cash gifts.
• Yahoo! Sports acquired Shapiro’s May 2005 American Express black card statement showing a bill of $9,738 on the night the booster said Bryant attended a Mansion nightclub event featuring Jay Z.
In Shapiro’s words
• “James Bryant was involved in partying at nightclubs, hanging out on my boat, hanging out at my house – a, b, c, d, all of the above. … I gave him money a couple of times. Never more than $200, only because he wasn’t a front line player.”
This page from Nevin Shapiro’s May 2005 American Express black card statement shows a bill of $9,738 for Mansion nightclub on May 14, 2005. The former booster identified the night as a Jay Z appearance at the nightclub, in which Shapiro hosted a large group of players in his VIP section and made “more than a dozen” bottles of champagne and multiple bottles of high-end liquor available in his section. One former Miami football player corroborated the event, including his attendance and that of several other players. Shapiro alleged a large contingent of Miami players partied in his VIP area, including Jon Beason, Tavares Gooden, Rocky McIntosh, Brian Monroe, James Bryant, Bryan Pata and Willie Williams. PDF file
Did not respond to a message sent to his Facebook page.