Football by the Numbers: Matchups to seek and avoid
These rankings are for the purposes of how many fantasy points they score. We’re trying to use season-to-date performance to predict how many fantasy points they are likely to allow this week to offensive players. If you have questions relating to matchups, feel free to ask them via Twitter @MichaelSalfino. But don’t ask me which fantasy defense to play – if that’s your biggest problem, you’re good. Generally, pick the defense that’s facing the team that’s allowed the highest sack rate and/or scored the fewest real-life points. All else is pure guess work.
This week’s highlighted matchups follow after the chart. But first a word about the categories. Only “Red Zone” is a little tricky. We’re not talking efficiency there, but rather red zone possessions allowed. Red Zone Possessions have proven over many years to be more useful in predicting future defensive performances. Plus there’s too much overlap with the TD rates we look at. RYPG is rushing yards per game. RTD/G is rushing TDs per game. PYPG is passing yards per game. PTD/G is passing TDs/per game. Obviously, yardage allowed is more reliable than touchdowns allowed for predictive purposes.
Here are the rankings. Matchup recommendations follow.
The Texans, Colts, Saints and Steelers have the week off.
Yes, I said that Tom Brady(notes) would have a bad week against the Jets. Rather, the numbers said that. I also said that Mark Sanchez(notes) would outscore him, but can you really kill me for that given Sanchez’s fantasy numbers? The Pats really found something with the no huddle – 6-for-6 for 90 yards and a TD. I wrote about that Tuesday in the Wall Street Journal.
Matchups to seek:
Buccaneers (31) at Packers: Oh. Dear. God.
Bills (30) at Dolphins: Reggie Bush(notes) is hot and should have another big day running and receiving. Also, Matt Moore(notes) is a sneaky bye-week play for owners who have lost QBs this week to byes. He’s a good running threat and the Bills give up points in bunches so 220 yards passing plus 30 rushing with a passing TD and a decent chance for a rushing score – not a bad day. Brandon Marshall(notes) of course is a top receiver this week.
Chiefs at Patriots (29): Tyler Palko(notes) could be a garbage time king this week. Who has the guts to play him though? All bets are off with the Chiefs this week as we just don’t have any reliable data on Palko’s ability. But Dwayne Bowe(notes) should get great volume, especially in the second half.
This is a really crappy week for good matchups. Let’s dig a little deeper. I like Matt Hasselbeck(notes) as a top 12 QB this week against a Falcons pass defense that gives up lots of yards. And looking at that yardage rank for the Packers, you have to play Josh Freeman(notes) this week, too. And Marshawn Lynch(notes) is a decent bet for 150 yards from from scrimmage versus the Rams.
Matchups to avoid:
Bengals (4) at Ravens (1): This will be a real slobberknocker, which we like to avoid for fantasy purposes. This game is symptomatic of a bunch of good defensive teams facing each other or facing teams that don’t have many (any?) fantasy players of note. Looks like a low-scoring week unless you have serious Packers’ shares.
Feel free to ask my any questions via Twitter @MichaelSalfino
- The Fantasy War Room is closed
- Week 6 RB Rankings: Freeman train to keep on rolling
- Week 6 FLEX Rankings: Pats' Lewis, Gronk to pay off
- Doug Martin, Josh McCown spurred Week 5 winner in $750K Baller contest
- Searching for Daily Hockey bargains on a busy Tuesday NHL slate
- NFL Week 6 fantasy football waiver wire targets
- Pickups of the Week: Charcandrick West, priority fantasy add
- Josh McCown 'hopeful' to play Sunday, per report, but should be on fantasy benches
- Week 6 WR Rankings: Down with ODB
- Week 6 QB Rankings: Brady No. 1 heading into anticipated game vs. Colts
- Week 6 Rankings: Brady/Luck take center stage
- Yahoo Fantasy Freak Show Podcast: Plenty of struggling stars
- Two Packers land on All-Bust Fantasy Lineup for Week 5
- Jamaal Charles' fantasy season is over after tearing ACL in Week 5
- Monday Night Fliers: Inman, DHB pair of DEEP wide receiver plays
- Odell Beckham, Rueben Randle, could get limited practices, fantasy status remains unclear