Who to Start Message Board
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 3 minutes 57 seconds ago Flag
Assuming it's gonna cost you the same draft pick/auction value/etc. to keep them, I would rather have Darvish out of this group. Highest upside of your options. I just don't see enough of a difference between Pedroia and guys like Kinsler to justify seeing Pedroia going 1-2 rounds earlier. Frankly, I'd rather draft a more statistically valuable player and use Carpenter as my 2B than draft Pedroia early/keep him.
But I digress. Simply, I like Darvish best of your final options.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 9 minutes ago Flag
Based on your last statement ("AVG and OBP are both stats"), I'm assuming this is a categories league and not a points league. I'm also assuming that you can play Santana at another position in your starting lineup. Playing Santana somewhere other than C reduces his value, but I still believe he's a more valuable player than Teheran. Therefore, I would rather keep him and play him at 1B (or 3B if/when he eventually gains that eligibility) rather than Teheran. And you could always try to use one of your Cs as trade bait for a team need at a later date.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 26, 2014 1:37 PM Flag
It's a no-brainer even to those without a brain. Puig. As BTM already mentioned, Eaton's in the AL now, so he almost certainly won't be eligible for you this year. He'd be a wasted keeper. Don't get cute. Take Puig.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 26, 2014 1:34 PM Flag
Without knowing your league/scoring/keeper settings, as well as the player you'll have to drop to make the trade work, it's impossible to give a fully informed answer. On its face, it appears like a great trade for you. But further information could change that.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 26, 2014 1:33 PM Flag
Agree with Pascal. He's done each individually, so the potential is there. Whether he does it is a different story, but your question was about potential.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 26, 2014 1:32 PM Flag
@American Dreams: Please indicate each round that each of your 7 keepers are being kept in. For example, I may or may not agree with you on keeping Teheran, but without knowing what round it costs to keep him (or any of your other options), it's hard to know if you're making the right choices on your keepers.
As to the 3 available, I LOVE Bumgarner in a keeper league. I think it's very possible that Cliff has the best year of them all, but Bumgarner is 11 years younger. That's impossible to ignore. Cliff may be the better pitcher now, but Bumgarner is close enough that the age difference swings things in his favor.
- Reply to Max Feb 26, 2014 10:50 AMPhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 26, 2014 1:29 PM Flag
I'll go one step further than Pascal. In a 12-team, 4-keeper league (aka 48 players are kept), I wouldn't keep ANY RP. Period.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 26, 2014 1:28 PM Flag
I'm not set to give up on Pujols just yet. He won't be an MVP again, but I think he'll bounce back somewhat from last year.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 26, 2014 1:27 PM Flag
On this rare instance, Dick and I agree. I would rather have Reyes than Zimmerman, especially since FPCT is a category. If Zimmerman continues his high-error ways, it could widen the gap even more between the two.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 26, 2014 1:25 PM Flag
In other words, you haven't used up all of your OF roster slots. Therefore, I'd draft Jones. If he's not available, go Kershaw.
- Reply to Doug Feb 25, 2014 9:10 PMPhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 26, 2014 1:23 PM Flag
I don't see an ethical issue with it so long as 2 things happen:
1) You pose the question to EVERY owner, providing a specific number that you are requesting to be compensated for your time and efforts; AND
2) They UNANIMOUSLY approve it
Without unanimous, advance approval from the entire league, you cannot ethically do this.
As a fellow commish myself, I understand that there is a TON of time that you invest into the league. For example, I've researched and purchased a league trophy, keep everyone up-to-date on all rules/deadlines/etc., maintain a Facebook group page as another avenue of interaction for the owners, and have organized a "banquet" where the trophy presentation occurs. Sometimes, the other owners take for granted how much work goes into doing more than simply having a title next to my name. That being said, I take no cut of the fees. All fees are paid out, either for league-related purchases (like the trophy) or for league prize money. Only if I had unanimous authorization from the league would I take any sort of cut.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 25, 2014 8:39 PM Flag
As I said on the other message board, I would like to know who the rest of your keepers are before being able to give a definitive answer. That being said, out of that list, I like Adam Jones the most.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 25, 2014 8:37 PM Flag
Without knowing exactly what your points system looks like, it's impossible to say if it favors pitching heavily enough to make a second-tier pitcher like Cain worth more than a top 5 1B like Fielder. But considering you're keeping Liriano and Masterson, I have a few comments:
1) Your league MUST favor pitchers more than "a little bit more" than hitters for either of those guys to be "definite" keepers for you.
2) If in fact both of those guys are "definite" keepers for you, I don't see how Cain can't also be more valuable than Prince.
But without more information, I can't give a definitive response.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 25, 2014 8:29 PM Flag
It's not JUST Wacha vs. Posey. You also dealt a valuable 4th round pick. And while I try to play to win now, if Wacha reaches the potential that he's projected for, he'll be a much better value being kept in the 25th than Posey in the 21st. And I mean, I like Posey, but I'm not sure he'd put up anywhere near the numbers he did in 2012 if he's not on the Giants. I just don't think he's a 3/4 hitter. I'm not saying he's not good. I'm just not as high on him as many others, I guess.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 25, 2014 8:14 PM Flag
I'm assuming there must be some sort of limits on players being kept that any of these names would be available. Who are your keepers?
Frankly, I'd lean Jones, but I'd need to know your other keepers to be sure.
- PhillyPhanatic85 PhillyPhanatic85 Feb 25, 2014 4:06 PM Flag
I guess there's the possibility that league/scoring settings may influence this, but I'm hard-pressed to think of a league setup where you would go with anyone other than Cano/Jones/Desmond/Rios. So those would be the 4 I would choose.