General Message Board
When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill.... Barefoot... BOTH ways.And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids.
But now that I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!
1) I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!
2) There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there!
3) Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!
4) There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!
5) Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and screw it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless.
6) We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!
7) There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOSH !!! Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. You kids have no idea how annoying you are.
8) And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent.... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances.
9) We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'... Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen.. Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!
10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!!
11) There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little bastards!
12) And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove!
13) And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!
And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!
You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970 or any time before!
- 1 Reply to Da Goat®
Neither would I Da Goat.........not a single minute.........times were so much better back then..........you could play outside forever, have pickup football/baseball games..........kids today wouldn't know how to do that.........you never see a bunch of kids playing baseball in a field somewhere. They would rather sit inside and play video games.
uncorrupt politicians? LOL. you really do live in a dream world. Can you say Dick Nixon? Horse power? Todays cars have way more horse power then most of the muscle cars. They got off the line with good old torque. The average car today has as much HP as almost any muscle car. factory horse power of 200 on a family car is the standard now.
At 13 these bikers would front me a pound of Commersh for $90.I sold 9 four finger bags for $10 and the rest was mine.I also worked 10/12 hour shifts at a seafood /steak house for $1.65 hr.Cleaned off the tables and washed dishes from the night before,then prepped the kitchen and cooked dinner shift
I'm over 50 and was picking cotton at 12 years old to pay for the fees the school was going to charge the next year for football gear. Not much, but dragging that 9' canvas bag for 13 cents a pound brings back some memories. Milking a Jersey and a Holestein before going to school etc.
And man are you "right on" about gettin' yer ass kicked if you messed up. Any relative, teacher or neighbor had permission to do what they saw fit back then. Ok, back to the BUD!
Kids today have no idea.
- 1 Reply to Dawg™
Good stuff there Dawg, but Geez, are you that old? Youse must be a relic that is trying to find a glass to put your false teeth into.
Anywho, crack a Bud and I'll be over there soon to crack a few more Buddies as we fire up the BBQ.
There were SOME things that were better back then though.....a QUARTER, instead of a DOLLAR for movies at the jackoff boothes......$15.00 for a "lid" of pot (about 2 ounces!!!)....GOOD acid.....cheap gas.....no AIDS.....Muscle cars, high HP, easy to work on....no "open borders"....low unemployment......less crime......uncorrupt polititions.....
- View More Messages
Expert Fantasy Advice
The Tennessee Titans crushed DeMarco Murray's fantasy value by selecting Heisman winner Derrick Henry in Round 2 of the NFL Draft. … More »
A look at Friday's DFS slate. … More »
In the market for a new middle after Dee Gordon's suspension? Here's a price list for you. … More »
Ezekiel Elliott is hands down the most attractive fantasy commodity to emerge from Day 1 of the 2016 NFL Draft, but he wasn't alone. … More »
The second day of the NFL Draft will be stacked with impact fantasy assets. Our experts review the top prospects. … More »