April 02, 2010
• Marc Gasol's season is over. He aggravated his neck injury during Wednesday's game all parties involved agree that it's best for him to shut it down and allow the slight tear in the muscle near his collarbone to heal. He originally suffered the injury on March 13 and has not been able to lift his left arm without pain since, so this makes complete sense with the Grizz out of the playoff picture. Gasol's per-game rank is 33rd on the season, he'll be among the finalists for the NBA's Most Improved Player award, and will undoubtedly make most post-season lists for best fantasy bargains or biggest overachievers (despite his untimely exit). Hasheem Thabeet(notes) will start at center the rest of the way [schedule], and he's averaged 7.2 points on 65-percent shooting, 7 boards, and 2.6 blocks in 22 minutes during his five starts thus far.
• Spencer Hawes'(notes) season is also finished a few games early thanks to a left knee injury. What is of note is that he had a microfracture procedure at age 14 and arthroscopic surgery in 2007, both on the same knee. We'll need to see how his off-season goes before we can start talking about his fantasy draft prospects for the 2010-11 season. This news means that Jason Thompson(notes) will be re-installed as the team's starting center [schedule] - in his 52 starts, Thompson has averaged 12.9 points, 8.7 boards, 0.6 steals, and 1 block in 33 minutes.
• Anderson Varejao(notes) (hamstring) participated in the non-contact portion of the Cavs' practice Thursday, but has yet to be cleared by team doctors to ramp up his activities. Mike Brown said that he may continue to rest Varejao even after he's cleared to make sure he's 100 percent for the playoffs. J.J. Hickson(notes) will continue to be the beneficiary here - over the past five games, he's averaged 15.4 points on 64-percent shooting, 7.2 boards, 1 steal, and 0.6 blocks in 27 minutes.
• For the Bulls: Luol Deng(notes) (calf) will be active Friday and should see "a few minutes" of playing time ... Joakim Noah(notes) (plantar fasciitis) will return to the team's starting lineup and will be limited to around 30 minutes ... Kirk Hinrich(notes) is still feeling the effects of his ankle injury but will be active.
• For the 76ers: Louis Williams(notes) (back) and Thaddeus Young(notes) (thumb) will be game-time decisions Saturday ... Andre Iguodala(notes) is visibly hobbled by plantar fasciitis and the team's medical staff has advised Eddie Jordan to monitor his minutes.
• Quick hits: Monta Ellis(notes) (flu) is out again Friday and apparently longer ... Stephen Jackson(notes) will try to play through a strained hamstring Friday ... Kevin Martin(notes) (shoulder) is questionable for Friday ... Andrei Kirilenko(notes) (calf) is out Friday ... Jermaine O'Neal(notes) (knee) is outfor at least two more games (Fri/Sat) ... Both Richard Hamilton(notes) (ankle) and Jason Maxiell(notes) (back) are questionable for Friday ... Carlos Delfino(notes) (neck) will be active on Friday ..
• Today's trivia: "I will be an All-Star-caliber player, there's no question." Which NBA player offered up this quote, regarding the 2010-11 season, earlier this week?
Photos via Getty Images