April 08, 2011
• This isn't exactly a shock, but it turns out that Deron Williams' wrist situation has been deteriorating since he joined the Nets. A Wednesday MRI revealed bone fragments and scar tissue, neither of which were present in an MRI taken immediately after he was traded. Williams will undergo surgery Friday to clean things up and his season is now officially over - he averaged 15 points on 35-percent shooting, 1.3 threes, 4.6 boards, 12.8 assists, and 1.3 steals in 38 minutes in 12 games for the Nets. A timetable for his rehab will be established after the procedure. Jordan Farmar will start at point guard over the team's final four games.
• Andrew Bogut has decided that playing out the remainder of the season at 50 percent isn't a good idea, so he's been shut down and will prepare for arthroscopic surgery on his right elbow. Bogut does not expect his rehab to occupy a major part of his off-season:
"From what I hear it's going to maybe a week or two immobilization and then a week or two and you're good. But I will continue to do rehab but can resume full activity. It's just a scope."
You have to give Bogut a ton of credit for playing hurt or at least limited for essentially the entire season - he averaged 35 minutes, 12.8 points on 50-percent shooting, 11.1 boards, and 2.6 blocks in 65 games. Drew Gooden and Larry Sanders will inherit Bogut's minutes during the team's final four games.
• Josh Smith (knee) did not travel with the Hawks for their weekend back-to-back (Fri @IND, Sat @WAS) and Larry Drew said he'll try to get all of his starters some rest over their final four games, although he won't shut anyone down. The Hawks are locked into fifth place in the East, and they are already looking ahead to their first-round playoff matchup with the Magic. This isn't to say that you should mass-drop your Hawks (Smith aside), but be prepared for the real possibility of a bit less production than usual.
• Amar'e Stoudemire will not play Friday in order to rest his sprained left ankle and his status for Sunday is also up in the air. Chauncey Billups will play Friday, but may not be 100 percent because of a thigh bruise.
• Other status updates: Kevin Love (groin) is doubtful for Saturday (and the rest of the season) ... Dwyane Wade (thigh) participated in shootaround Friday and is probable to play ... Kris Humphries is done for the year ... Tyson Chandler (back) will play Friday ... Andrea Bargnani (ankle) and Jose Calderon (hamstring) are both out ... Marcus Camby (neck) is questionable for Friday ... Arron Afflalo (hamstring) and Chris Andersen (ankle) are both out Friday ... Chris Kaman (knee) is questionable.
• And here's a schedule grid for the remainder of the season, with ease rankings courtesy of Basketball Monster:
photo via Getty Images