With each passing week the WTA official ranking system makes a bigger mockery of itself.
Safina has engineered an impressive rise over the past couple of seasons and the attention of her failure to win a Grand Slam - while holding the No.1 ranking - does her no favors.
The WTA's new chief executive, Stacey Allaster, needs to make a revamp of the system a priority or risk further damage to the Tour's credibility.
Sure, Williams plays in considerably fewer tournaments and her performances in smaller events have been mixed. But how can the woman who has won three of the last four Slams not be considered the best in the world?
Here is the latest version of the Yahoo! Sports power rankings, with pre-Wimbledon ratings in parentheses. A familiar name heads the list.
1. (2) Serena Williams: Too strong, too dominant, and looking for her third Slam of the year.
2. (4) Venus Williams: Seeking to make up for Wimbledon final disappointment.
3. (1) Dinara Safina: Still on top of the official rankings, but yet to win that elusive Slam title.
4. (8) Elena Dementieva: Will be looking forward to favored hard-court season.
5. (6) Victoria Azarenka: Rising star is back at full fitness and is high on confidence.
6. (3) Svetlana Kuznetsova: French Open champion admits she needs more consistency.
7. (7) Caroline Wozniacki: Danish youngster keeps producing solid results.
8. (NR) Dominika Cibulkova: Has the game and the belief to battle the best.
- Serena Williams
- Dinara Safina