The young Frenchman rallied late against the world No. 1 to claim one of the finest wins of his career in the quarterfinals.
Tsonga is an enigma who has often frustrated his fans with inconsistency and has struggled to produce big things in Grand Slams since reaching the final of the 2008 Australian Open.
This summer provides an opportunity for him to make his mark and showcase the talent which has caused many to tout him as a future Slam champion.
Federer remains on top of our list once again, while Juan Martin del Potro rises to No. 3 on the back of his excellent hard-court form.
Rafael Nadal drops to fourth, although it is surely only a matter of time before the Spaniard gets his fitness, and his game, back to elite standard.
1. (1) Roger Federer - big favorite to take another U.S. Open title
2. (2) Andy Murray - looked superb in winning at Montreal last week
3. (6) Juan Martin del Potro - has the game to beat anyone on outdoor hard courts
4. (3) Rafael Nadal - still a little off the pace since returning from injury
5. (4) Andy Roddick - has big hopes for a successful summer
6. (5) Novak Djokovic - still a serious contender on hard courts
7. (7) Nikolay Davydenko - getting the flow back into his game at last
8. (NR) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga - impressive win over Federer in Canada
Previous rankings in parentheses.
- Roger Federer