Andy Roddick has never been a fan of clay court tennis and his recent marriage to swimwear model Brooklyn Decker has given him a convenient excuse to skip a chunk of the European season.
Roddick's decision to skip Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome means he drops out of the Yahoo! Sports power rankings after sitting as high as No. 4 a month ago.
David Ferrer leaps into the top eight at No. 5 following his run to the Barcelona final, where he looked to be back to something approaching his best.
Fernando Gonzalez has been quietly putting together a strong year, with a good level of consistency on all surfaces propelling him up to No. 7.
Of course, the dominance of clay court king Rafael Nadal keeps him well clear of the pack in top spot, as we again take a look at the hottest players on tour. (Prior rankings are in parenthesis)
1. (1) Rafael Nadal: Another week, another tournament win on clay
2. (2) Andy Murray: Showing signs of improvement on clay
3. (3) Novak Djokovic: Defends his 2008 Rome title this week
4. (4) Roger Federer: Still struggling to get his season on track
5. (-) David Ferrer: Back to form in Barcelona and looking strong
6. (5) Juan Martin Del Potro: Not looking comfortable away from hard courts
7. (-) Fernando Gonzalez: More good performances from the big-hitting Chilean
8. (7) Fernando Verdasco: Has lost some of his early season sparkle