Rafael Nadal’s swashbuckling start to his Grand Slam year pushed him up a spot in our Australian Open power rankings and made a powerful signal of intent.
The Spaniard has never made it past the semifinal in Melbourne but looked hungry and motivated as he swatted aside Belgium’s Christophe Rochus.
Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Gilles Simon both moved up after convincing wins in the searing heat Down Under and look poised for deep runs into the tournament.
There were still no massive upsets among the elite on the women’s side, yet Elena Dementieva moved down two spots due to her shaky performance in the opening round.
Check back for our next power rankings at the conclusion of the second round and share your thoughts below.
1. (1) Andy Murray: Easy start, beating Andrei Pavel 6-2, 3-1 ret.
2. (3) Rafael Nadal: Looked awesome in 6-0, 6-2, 6-2 destruction of Christophe Rochus
3. (2) Roger Federer: Faces Evgeny Korolev in round two
4. (4) Novak Djokovic: Faces Jeremy Chardy in round two
5. (7) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga: Thrashed Juan Monaco 6-4, 6-4, 6-0
6. (5) Andy Roddick: Faces Xavier Malisse in round two
7. (6) Juan Martin Del Potro: Faces Florian Mayer in round two
8. (-) Gilles Simon: Eased past Pablo Andujar 6-4, 6-1, 6-1
1. (1) Serena Williams: Was far too strong for Meng Yuan, winning 6-3, 6-2
2. (2) Venus Williams: Survived a scare to beat Angelique Kerber 6-3, 6-3
3. (3) Jelena Jankovic: Faces Kirsten Flipkens in round two
4. (4) Dinara Safina: Faces Ekatarina Makarova in round two
5. (6) Caroline Wozniacki: Faces Virginia Ruano Pascual in round two
6. (7) Ana Ivanovic: Faces Alberta Brianti in round two
7. (5) Elena Dementieva: Struggled past Kristina Barrois 7-6, 2-6, 6-1
8. (8) Vera Zvonareva: Faces Edina Gallovits in round two
- Rafael Nadal