A daily look at who's in and who's out ...
Clinched knockout round spot (through Thursday): Chile, Netherlands, Colombia
Eliminated from knockout contention (through Thursday): Australia, Cameroon, Spain
What happened on Thursday?
• Uruguay (3 points) beat England (0), 2-1
What it means: England is on the brink of elimination and needs at least a win over Costa Rica plus two Italy wins to advance. A Costa Rica win or draw in Friday's Italy-Costa Rica match would eliminate England.
• Colombia (6) beat Ivory Coast (3), 2-1
• Japan (1) and Greece (1) played to a 0-0 draw.
What it means: Colombia has already advanced to the knockout round and will win first place in the group with a win or draw against Japan. Ivory Coast gets in with a win versus Greece or a draw if Japan doesn't win big enough over Colombia. Japan and Greece are still alive but need wins and help in their final matches.
What's at stake on Friday?
(3) vs. Costa Rica (3): The winner takes control of Group D with one match remaining. Costa Rica can advance with a win because Italy-Uruguay play each other next. England is eliminated with a Costa Rica win or a draw.
(3) vs. France (3), Honduras (0) vs. Ecuador (0): The winner of the Switzerland-France match takes control of Group E and could advance with a draw from Honduras-Ecuador.
More World Cup coverage on Yahoo Sports: