A daily look at who's in and who's out ...
Clinched knockout round spot (through Friday): Chile, Netherlands, Colombia, Costa Rica
Eliminated from knockout round contention (through Friday): Australia, Cameroon, Spain, England
What happened on Friday?
• Costa Rica (6 points) beat Italy (3), 1-0
What that means: The victory sent Costa Rica through to the knockout round and eliminated England from contention. The Uruguay-Italy match will decide the group's second team. Italy will advance with a draw in that game since it owns a better goal differential (0 to -1).
• France (6) beat Switzerland (3), 5-2
• Ecuador (3) beat Honduras (0), 2-1
What that means: France has virtually clinched thanks to their massive goal differentials over the rest of the group. Ecuador and Switzerland are still alive with a number of scenarios in play. Switzerland holds an advantage in that it plays Honduras in its last match. Ecuador, meanwhile, holds the edge in goal differential (0 to -2) but will finish against France. Honduras is technically alive but would need a big win over Switzerland and a French rout of Ecuador.
What's at stake on Saturday?
• Argentina (3) vs. Iran (1), Nigeria (1) vs. Bosnia-Herzegovina (0): Argentina can advance with a win and seal first place in the group with a draw from the other match. Bosnia-Herzegovina is eliminated with a loss.
• Germany (3) vs. Ghana (0): Ghana can be pushed to the brink of elimination with a loss and the exit would become official with a U.S. win or draw over Portugal on Sunday. Here's a good video primer on how this match affects the United States' chance to advance.
FIFA's tiebreaking procedures for group play
• Greatest number of points obtained in all the group matches
• Goal difference in the group matches
• Greatest number of goals scored in the group matches
• Head-to-head comparison
• Drawing of lots
More World Cup coverage: