A daily look at who's in and who's out ...
Clinched knockout round spot (through Saturday): Chile, Netherlands, Colombia, Costa Rica, Argentina
Eliminated from knockout round spot (through Saturday): Australia, Cameroon, Spain, England, Bosnia-Herzegovina
What happened on Saturday?
• Argentina (6) beat Iran (1), 1-0
• Nigeria (4) beat Bosnia-Herzegovina (0), 1-0
What that means: Argentina advances to the knockout round and Bosnia-Herzegovina is eliminated. Nigeria can advance with a result against Argentina. Iran needs a win over Bosnia-Herzegovina, a Nigeria loss and a better goal differential than Nigeria (Iran currently -1, Nigeria 1).
• Germany (4) and Ghana (1) played to a 0-0 draw.
What that means: The draw kept Germany from qualifying for the knockout stage after two matches and brought Ghana back into contention for a spot. The U.S. can advance to the round of 16 with a win over Portugal on Sunday (a result that would also eliminate Portugal).
What's at stake on Sunday?
• United States (3) vs. Portugal (0): A win sends the U.S. to the knockout round, while Portugal is eliminated. A draw would pull the U.S. even with Germany atop the standings and given the Americans a chance to advance with a win or draw against Germany. A Portugal victory would make it anybody's game in the group and require the Americans to at least draw against Germans.
FIFA's tiebreaking procedures for group play
• Greatest number of points obtained in all the group matches
• Goal difference in the group matches
• Greatest number of goals scored in the group matches
• Head-to-head comparison
• Drawing of lots
More World Cup coverage on Yahoo Sports:
- Sports & Recreation
- World Cup 2014