Dirty Tackle

Jose Mourinho claims conspiracy against him in FIFA Coach of the Year vote

Brooks Peck
Dirty Tackle

View gallery

.

Jose Mourinho in his office with a picture of Jose Mourinho.

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho was noticeably absent from the Ballon d'Or gala in January. Nominated for the World Coach of the Year award along with former Barca manager Pep Guardiola and Spain's Vicente Del Bosque (who ended up winning it), Mourinho now claims that he didn't attend the ceremony because he was informed of a sinister conspiracy against him.

From Reuters:

"Am I sorry for not having gone to the gala? No. It was the right decision," Mourinho told RTP television on Tuesday in excerpts from an interview.

"One, two or three people called me saying they had voted for me but the vote showed up as cast for somebody else. So, I decided not to go," he said.

The Portuguese coach and former Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola lost the 2012 FIFA coach award to Spain's Vicente del Bosque at January's gala.

FIFA said in a statement: "FIFA confirms that the list of votes published on FIFA.com is accurate."

Of course, Mourinho, who previously won the award in 2010, is no stranger to conspiracy theories. If anything, it sounds like one, two or three people were playing a prank on him/making excuses for why they didn't vote for him and he bought in because how else could a man with a picture of himself behind his desk ever lose anything?

You would also think that FIFA would be better at rigging votes on the sly. Then again, anytime Sepp Blatter brings Gerard Depardieu to an event as his date, there is surely some kind of treachery afoot...

View gallery

.

Sepp and Gerard at the 2013 Ballon d'Or gala. (Getty)

View Comments