· Major bummer, dudes. Two-time defending gold medalist Shaun White failed to medal in the men's halfpipe on Tuesday, crashing twice in his first finals run and recording only the fourth-best score in his second. American teammate Danny Davis also crashed on the much-maligned 'pipe giving Sochi its first American-less podium in Olympic snowboarding history. "Tonight was just not my night," said White, who also shot down any talk of retirement.
[Related: Team USA's last chance at Olympic history]
• While the sight of an American-less snowboard podium qualified as unique, so did the sight of an American on a luge platform. Erin Hamlin became the first American to ever medal in luge, taking bronze in the women's event and breaking a drought that stretched all the way back to the sport's Olympic debut in 1964. The U.S. men and women had failed in 81 medal opportunities before Tuesday.
• American Devin Logan took silver in the inaugural ski slopestyle event and then took the opportunity to tell reporters what was entailed with her main trick. It was a real mouthful.
• American Sarah Hendrickson made history becoming the first woman in Olympic history to take an official ski jump, but Carina Vogt of Germany took home the event's first gold medal.
• After winning gold in the team event over the weekend, the Russians again dominated the figure skating action. Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov scored a world record 84.17 during their short program and will skate for gold in the pairs event Wednesday night. A second Russian pair is also in medal contention. Not bad for a country that didn't win a single pairs medal in Vancouver.
Women's hockey – Canada vs. United States (7:30 a.m. ET) The world's two superpowers meet in the biggest matchup of the prelims.
Men's hockey — Czech Republic vs. Sweden, Latvia vs. Switzerland (12 p.m.) The men's tournament finally begins.
Men's speedskating — 1,000m (9 a.m.) Chicagoan Shani Davis goes for an unprecedented third gold in this event.
Women's downhill (2 a.m.), Women's halfpipe finals (12:30 p.m.)
- - - - - - -
Winter Olympics Memorable Moments on Yahoo Sports:
- Sports & Recreation
- Shaun White
- Erin Hamlin