Hey, remember that scene in "The Dark Knight" when Batman said the difference between himself and the imitation vigilantes populating Gotham City was that he "wasn't wearing hockey pads"?
Apparently the Tulsa Oilers didn't get the memo:
Oh, sorry, check that: They're not the Tulsa Oilers on Friday night. They've been renamed The Gotham City Crusaders, for one game only. On Black Friday, naturally.
On November 23, Gotham City and Tulsa citizens are invited to witness the squad of 18 crusaders as they take the ice dressed in Limited Edition Batman hockey jerseys created exclusively for this event and featuring the iconic Bat Signal. After the game, the game jerseys will be auctioned off in the ONEOK Club in the BOK Center.
In honor of this special event presented by Z-104.5 The Edge, Gotham City children 12 and under will receive free admission to the Crusaders game on November 23 at the BOK Center.
"This is a once in a lifetime chance for our fans and players to experience Tulsa hockey in a whole new light," said Tulsa Oilers and Gotham City Crusaders General Manager Taylor Hall.
(Ed. Note: No, not that Taylor Hall. This Taylor Hall.)
The entire game production will feature the Batman theme including Batman themed costumes for the Ice Girls, Gotham City inspired game graphics, Batman music, a costume contest with prizes awarded for guests dressed in Batman inspired costumes and much more. Fans not in costume are encouraged to wear black in support of the Gotham City Crusaders.
(Ed. Note: Batman themed … ice girls? Granted, we would have also accepted a Harley Quinn motif, but beggars cant be yadda yadda …)
"I can't think of a better way for families to spend the day after Thanksgiving than to come out and support the Gotham City Crusaders," Hall continued. "We hope the entire arena is filled with Batman costumes and fans dressed in "Batman black" to cheer the Crusaders on to victory."
The possibilities are endless for this theme. Our suggestions:
• The PA announcer must either speak in the awkward, unintelligible Christian Bale "Batman voice" or in the awkward, unintelligible Bane voice. ("Now is not the end for beer … that comes later in the third period.")
• Prince's "Bat Dance"? Goal song.
• Every penalty is announced as "Player X has been committed to Arkham."
• Every usher is forced to speak like Michael Caine and refer to every fan as "Mah-stuh Wayne."
• No goal lights; just Bat-Signals.
More sports news from the Yahoo! Sports Minute:
Other popular content on the Yahoo! network:
• Frustrated fan confronts Gary Bettman in media scrum
• CNBC: Two NFL quarterbacks go from gridiron to vineyard
• Y! Finance: Must-have job skills for 2013
- Sports & Recreation
- Arts & Entertainment