Back by popular demand, here are your Puck Previews: Spotlighting the key games in NHL action, news and views as well as general frivolity. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
• Oh, nothing, it’s just Tim Stapleton (!!!) going coast to coach for a goal in the KHL.
Preview: Chicago Blackhawks at Minnesota Wild, 8 p.m. ET. The Blackhawks try and stay perfect on the season, while the Wild look to build off the momentum of their win against Columbus and thwarting of a 5-game losing skid. Here’s NBC’s setup for the “Rivalry Night” game, which doesn’t mention the irony in two non-rivals participating in said rivalry game.
Preview: Montreal Canadiens at Ottawa Senators, 7 p.m. ET. WE HAVE A PETER BUDAJ SIGHTING! Meanwhile, the Habs aren’t sure when P.K. Subban will be back in the lineup. The Senators are without the injured Jason Spezza and Craig Anderson is expected to start.
Preview: Edmonton Oilers at Phoenix Coyotes, 9:30 p.m. ET. It’ll be Chad Johnson, fresh off his first NHL shutout, facing Edmonton. The Oilers have scored a conference-low four even-strength goals, but that power play is a humdinger: 10 for 28.
Preview: Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks, 10 p.m. ET. Roberto Luongo gets the start for the Canucks, either because they inexplicably feel the need to showcase Roberto Luongo to other teams or because they don’t give a toss about your goaltending controversy. No Gabe Landeskog for the Avs. Mile High Hockey with some doom and gloom: “The Avalanche have been outscored 8-1 in the 105 minutes since that hit and have given up 7 (seven!) power play goals. Perhaps losing your two top penalty killers - Jay McClement and Dan Winnik - wasn't the best idea ever after all?”
• Today’s Marek Vs. Wyshynski, featuring Ken Campbell and Going Postal. [MvsW]
• New York Rangers captain Ryan Callahan will miss 10-14 days with "a shoulder subluxation”, which sounds worse than it is. [NJ.com]
• Shea Weber on his early season struggles: "Everything is magnified right now with the short season," Weber said. "We even talked about it before the season, that we couldn’t afford a slump or a lull. And obviously it’s happened. We have to try and find a way to correct it quickly." [ESPN]
• Great stuff: “Trainer saves hockey player ‘two minutes’ from death” [Prep Rally]
• Hey, referees: Never ever call Soo Saint Marie fat. [Buzzing The Net]
Puck Daddy Reader Comment of the Day: On the Boston sausage tossing, via Johnny Appleseed:
A stick tap to the guy who initially said this: "It was probably a Jeremy-Jacobs paid for hot dog, too."
Bold Prediction: Toews scores two goals, the Blackhawks move to 7-0-0.
- Ice Hockey
- Sports & Recreation
- Chicago Blackhawks
- The Blackhawks
- Roberto Luongo
- Roberto Luongo
- Minnesota Wild