Preview: St. Louis Blues at Detroit Red Wings, 7:30 p.m. ET. A battle that has Central Division and Western Conference implications also has the home winning streak of the Red Wings on the line. Winners of their last 16 at Joe Louis Arena, Detroit is tied for the fourth-longest home winning streak in NHL history and also go for their seventh straight victory overall. The Blues have won four in a row and have received solid goaltending of late from not only All-Star Brian Elliott, but also Jaroslav Halak. A St. Louis win puts them No. 1 overall in the Western Conference and NHL.
Preview: San Jose Sharks at Edmonton Oilers, 9:30 p.m. ET. Despite dropping three of their last four, the Sharks have had recent success against the Oilers. Winning 10 of their last 12 against Edmonton, San Jose would love to use tonight's game as a bit of a streakbuster. The Oilers are once again toiling at the bottom of the Western Conference and as losers of eight of nine are trying to finish the second half
Preview: Ottawa Senators at Los Angeles Kings, 10:30 p.m. ET. The surprising Senators head toward the All-Star break in a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference and look to continue their recent run of 10 wins in 13 games. The Kings -- mainly, Jonathan Quick -- are hoping to get spurred on by their offense who've scored just two goals or less in 20 of his last 21 starts. A win, coupled with a San Jose loss would put the Kings atop the Pacific Division.
Evening ReadingDallas Stars goaltending prospect Tyler Beskorowany's new mask that features Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. [In Goal Mag]
• After getting hit by Tom Sestito on Sunday afternoon, it looks like Nathan Horton of the Boston Bruins suffered a "mild" concussion, according to GM Peter Chiarelli. [Globe]
• Hey, Christian Ehrhoff is back for the Buffalo Sabres! Here comes the turnaro... ah, nevermind. [Sabres Edge]
• Oh, and R.J. Umberger is back for the Columbus Blue Jackets. Here comes the... forget it. [Dispatch]
• Alex Goligoski penned a new deal today with the Dallas Stars, but the other big upcoming RFA, Jamie Benn, likely won't have any contract news until after the season. [Dallas Morning News]
Puck Buddy Comment of the Day: "Sandra" has some trivia on Patrik Elias:
"Patrik Elias is one of the BEST huggers. He seems like a cuddler in so many pictures through the years. And ~that~ alone should be another reason why he should go to the All-Star Game this weekend, lol."
Bold prediction: The Kings once again fail to score more than two goals, but that's okay, they'll beat Ottawa 2-1 in overtime.
Follow Sean Leahy on Twitter at @Sean_Leahy
- Sports & Recreation/Ice Hockey
- Sports & Recreation
- Detroit Red Wings
- Dallas Stars
- Joe Louis Arena
- Edmonton Oilers