I know it's tempting to skip the Rangers' games and just catch the sexy HBO recaps with their David Fincheresque grit-filtered, behind-the-scenes magic, but there are plenty of reasons to watch this one live. First, the Rangers have won 4 straight at home and the Islanders are 5-1-1 in their last 7 on the road. Second, anything interesting that happens is going to be on Rangers-Flyers 24/7, so think of it like watching a three-hour teaser where most of the scenes will be cut.
Offensively monolingual coach Randy Cunneyworth and the Habs fly into Winnipeg, the city whose fanbase doesn't care if you speak two languages. Must be nice. The Habs are 0-3 in the Cunneyworth era. Does the anglophone coach's first win come tonight? If it doesn't, one suspects the province of Quebec will be strapping him to a chair and forcing him to learn French (and unlearn English) via aversion therapy, Clockwork Orange-style.
The Wild have lost 5 straight. Are they merely slumping or are they suffering the inevitable regression due a team that gets wildly outshot pretty much every night? Depends on if you're a Wild fan or not. Either way, if they want to go into Christmas atop the Northwest Division, they need to start winning again, and the Oilers are a good team in that regard --in the sense that they're not a good team in most other regards. They've lost 4 straight, and have fallen to 13th in the conference. Since I don't think it's possible for everyone to lose (unless there's a shootout, amirite NHL fans?), somebody's losing streak ends tonight.
• And in Minnesota, the most Canadian state in America (in the sense that its hockey fans are insane), a man has been charged with choking his son's hockey coach until he began to black out. [Star-Tribune]
• The NHLPA has donated $300,000 worth of hockey equipment to programs all around the world. Amazingly, they only used money from James Wisniewski's suspension. [CBC]
• Chloe Ezra's 10 best Roberto Luongo animated gifs of 2011. The dude makes some odd faces. [PITB]
• Maybe it's just because I'm a sucker for Daft Punk, but I think this Grand Rapids Griffins video is cool. That is all. [Reddit Hockey]
Bold prediction: The Wild snap the losing skid with a shutout win over the Oilers.
- Sports & Recreation/Ice Hockey
- Sports & Recreation
- New York Rangers
- New York Islanders
- Winnipeg Jets
- Randy Cunneyworth
- Montreal Canadiens