Here are your Puck Previews: Spotlighting the key games in NHL action, news and views as well as general frivolity. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
One of the league's best rivalries continues as the Canadiens skate into Boston for a date with the Bruins, looking for offensively monolingual coach Randy Cunneyworth's first win. This one's sure to be a little heated, so Boston will no doubt miss Milan Lucic, who serves his one-game suspension for a hit on Zac Rinaldo.
When you're trying to stave off your first four-game losing streak of the season, there are probably a great number of teams you'd rather play than the Red Wings, but that's who Edmonton draws Monday night. They picked a poor time to lose 3 straight, if you ask me. Player to watch: Pavel Datysuk, for two reasons. First, he's got 22 points in his last 14 games. Second, if you're not making a point to watch him, you're a fool. A fool.
The Canucks are coming off a five-game road trip, so they're bound to be a little tired to start, but the Wild will give them no sympathy, especially since tired is still preferable to horribly banged up. Mikko Koivu, Devin Setoguchi, and Guillaume Latendresse will all miss this one with various ailments, and AHL callup Jed Ortmeyer becomes the 34th different player to suit for the Wild already this season. On the plus side, they'll be getting Pierre-Marc Bouchard back, and he has two first names, which is almost like being two people.
• Forget Anton Brock or the water polo kid. A new contender for dumbest rioter has emerged and it's the guy who looted a store while wearing a jersey with his name on the back. [PHT]
• Roberto Luongo might be out for blood Monday night. He was robbed of an assist Saturday versus Toronto. [PITB]
• Dan Boyle on his broken foot. [Working the Corners]
• Parenting came up in today's Puck Headlines after Martin Brodeur decried the swearing on Flyers-Rangers 24/7 because his kids watch. With that in mind, I present this article on the age-old dilemma: should kids miss hockey game for holiday parties? [Parent Central]
• Chris Mason's new pads are awesome. [Reddit Hockey]
Puck Buddy Comment of the Day: Kevonic22 on the NHL's worst mistake of 2011:
oh no...i forgot all about that guardian project...wow im embarrassed for the NHL again
Me too. And me too.
Bold prediction: Zdeno Chara drops the gloves versus Montreal.
- Sports & Recreation/Ice Hockey
- Sports & Recreation
- Boston Bruins
- Montreal Canadiens
- Detroit Red Wings
- Edmonton Oilers