Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• In case you haven't heard, Mike Comrie(notes) purchased a $1 million ring for fiancée Hilary Duff. In case you can't see, it's probably because you just witnessed the sun hitting the thing. We think we just found Earth's new laser defense system against wayward meteors. [Yes, TMZ; s/t to Fiona Quick]
ATTN: Chicago area Puck Daddy readers — Emergency contest time! We have a pair of VIP tickets to Monday night’s premiere of the Blackhawks Stanley Cup DVD at the Imax theater at Navy Pier. What We Need: A photo of your best piece of Blackhawks memorabilia, sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The coolest/oddest piece wins the tickets. Deadline: Sunday, noon ET; again, the premiere is on Monday night. Thanks, and good luck!
• Mike Babcock believes Mike Modano(notes) will join the Detroit Red Wings: "It's not about the cash, it's about the legacy and the fit. He'll fit and he'll be excited to play. I look forward to him signing. I think that's inevitable. I think that's what is going to happen." [NHL.com]
• Breaking down the Mikko Koivu(notes) contract with the Minnesota Wild: "In fact, Koivu has put up better numbers than Toews over the last few seasons with less talent surrounding him-something that likely was at the forefront of these discussions when comparables were involved." [Wild Nation]
• Meanwhile, a glowing review of the deal from the stat-heads at Behind The Net: "It's likely that Koivu will actually even outperform his contract over the next few years - if you're going to drop $50M on a player, it had better be one this good." [BTN]
• Jeremy Roenick(notes) on the San Jose Sharks cutting ties with Evgeni Nabokov(notes): "It didn’t surprise me that it happened. I love Nabby, he is a very good friend of mine. I think he is going to do great over in Russia. It was time for a change, and I think Doug Wilson understood that." [Sharkspage]
• Ryan Kennedy with an interesting piece on the NCAA's new recruitment rule and how it would benefit the Canadian League. [THN]
• The San Jose Sharks announced Friday that they will play their final 2010 preseason game in Mannheim, Germany at SAP Arena against the Adler Mannheim Eagles on Sat., Oct. 2 at 7:30 p.m. (11:30 a.m. PST). [Sharks]
• The image above is from the great Icethetics blog this week, which writes: "On the left is a logo created by Mike Ivall and first posted to the Icethetics blog on July 8, 2008. It has a habit of stirring up controversy in the form of infringement because, on right is the new logo of the NAHL's Port Huron Fighting Falcons, who will have an unveiling event for it on Wednesday." Puck Drawn has much, much more on this, including word that the Falcons have reached out to Mike. [Icethetics]
• This might be an ongoing feature on Dobber's site that we're not hip to, but "auditing" fantasy teams is a rather neat idea. [Dobber Hockey]
• Congrats to Paul Kukla for five years on the Korner. [KK]
• Finally, it's always a pleasure when friend of the blog Steve Dangle takes out his toys and makes a video. Here's Ilya Kovalcuk's LeBron-like "decision" video: