Create-a-Caption: "Russian fans attend the Men's Ice Hockey Quarterfinal Playoff between Finland and Russia."
• • • • •
• • • • •
Five things to know about today's Olympic games ...
1) Win or go ... for bronze. Winners of the two games will battle it out for the gold. The losing teams play for bronze. In 2010, the Finns beat Slovakia for the third place medal.
2) Sweden first real test. Looking at the Final Four™, Sweden has had the relatively-easiest journey to this point with wins against Switzerland, Czech Republic, Latvia and Slovenia. Henrik Lundqvist has faced a total of 97 shots through four games and allowed in five goals; he's played every minute of every game. As a team, the Finns have scored 18 goals on 128 shots.
3) Teammates against teammates. USA and Canada feature the most NHL teammates (not including coaches) against each other: Cam Fowler vs. Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry; Paul Martin, Brooks Orpik vs. Sidney Crosby, Chris Kunitz; Joe Pavelski vs. Patrick Marleau, Marc-Edouard Vlasic; Derek Stepan, Ryan Callahan, Ryan McDonagh vs. Rick Nash; Ryan Kessler vs. Roberto Luongo, Dan Hamuis; Kevin Shattenkirk, T.J. Oshie, David Backes vs. Jay Bouwmeester, Alex Pietrangelo, Jonathan Quick, Dustin Brown vs. Drew Doughty, Jeff Carter; Paul Stasny vs. Matt Duchene; Max Pacioretty vs. P.K. Subban, Carey Price; Patrick Kane vs. Duncan Keith, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp. Which group will make a comical sketch at the NHL Awards this year?!
4) Sid The Kid vs. Dan The Coach So Sid can't score a goal right now to save his life; however, that can change at any moment. No one knows that better than Team USA head coach - and Penguins head coach - Dan Bylsma. How much does Bylsma let his American charges know about the best ways to continue to shut Sid down?
5) Revenge for 2010. "The best revenge is massive success" - Frank Sinatra. Run with it, Team USA.
Bold prediction: Finns win because Hockey Gods love Teemu. USA wins because Harrison Mooney wrote his anti-USA post. It goes from Blame Canada to Blame Harrison :)
- Sports & Recreation
- Ice Hockey