Here is the Puck Daddy Viewing Guide: Spotlighting five things to watch for during tonight's slate of games. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
• • • • •
• • • • •
Five things to know about tonight's NHL games ...
1) Paul Maurice and the trial by fire. On Sunday, the Winnipeg Jets fired head coach Claude Noel and replaced him with Paul Maurice. A little over 24 hours later, Maurice is coaching his first game for the Jets. Expectations of automatic success should be tempered, but then again, this is Winnipeg.
2) Carolina gets three 'Canes back, Calgary loses a Flame. Hopes of snapping a three game skid is going to be even more difficult for Calgary. Team-leading goal scorer Mike Cammalleri is out of the lineup after suffering a concussion in Saturday's game against Pittsburgh. Good news for Carolina: Eric Staal (lower-body), Jiri Tlusty (appendectomy) and Riley Nash (lower-body) all returning to the lineup.
3) Steven Stamkos is BACK ... at practice; Ben Bishop is BACK-ing up Anders Lindback. Stamkos, and his Wolverine-like ability to heal, joined the Lightning on their three game road trip. He was at the team's morning skate wearing a non-contact red jersey. No word on his return date but he wants to get at least one game in before the Olympics. Anders Lindback will take the net against Columbus and Ben Bishop might be ready for the game against the Rangers tomorrow. Bishop has not played in three games after spraining his right wrist against the Oilers.
4) I know what you did last game. Vancouver's No. 2 goalie Eddie Lack will get the start tonight against LA but the story is, per usual, about Roberto Luongo. Luongo injured his ankle on January 4th against the Kings. After the game, Luongo stated his injury was due to Dustin Brown "... accidentally running [Luongo] over"; a slight war of words between the two teams followed. John Tortorella said his team wouldn't be focused what happened last time...be sure to remember that when Tom Sestito attempts to decapitate Brown and/or Jonathan Quick (maybe).
5) Countdown begins: 12 days until outdoor game in Los Angeles. Tonight is Dodger Night at Staples Center. If you're going to the game: don't forget your kevlar, and whatever you do, do not mention the San Francisco Giants. (Kidding, relax.)
There has been an artist's rendering of what Dodger stadium will look like on game day. The design of the event will - in no possible way - anger old school hockey fans or embarrass the hockey loving residents of Southern California.
Forecast update for January 25th day:
Follow Jen Neale on Twitter @MsJenNeale_PD
- Sports & Recreation
- Ice Hockey
- Paul Maurice
- Calgary Flames
- Vancouver Canucks
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- New Jersey Devils