Here is the Puck Daddy Viewing Guide: Spotlighting five things to watch for during tonight's slate of games. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
Create-a-Caption: "Kari Lehtonen of the Dallas Stars jumps onto the top of the goal to take a seat during a break in play against the Calgary Flames." (I know, we already did a post on it. But we've yet to caption it and it's too good not to). (Getty)
• • •
• • •
Five things to know about tonight's NHL games ...
1. Leafs, Sabres renew acquaintances. The Sabres made some pretty big changes this week, and the Pat LaFontaine/Ted Nolan era begins Friday night versus the Maple Leafs. It couldn't be a better opponent. These two teams got seriously into it in the preseason, and it could be an explosive debut for the new president of hockey ops and his coach.
2. Oilers on the verge of shameful, shameful history. "Facing a six-game home losing streak, the punchless Oilers hope to at least score a goal at Rexall Place for the first time this month as they face the San Jose Sharks on Friday night." That's incredible. The Oilers have been shut out at home three straight times. A fourth today would make them the most hapless home team in 84 years.
3. Someone's losing streak is over. Both Pittsburgh and Nashville come into tonight's action with three-game losing streaks, and whaddya know, they're playing each other. Somebody's going home happy!
4. Hockeytown down. Speaking of losing streaks, the Red Wings are riding a six-game home skid. A loss to the Capitals tonight would match their franchise worst run at the Joe at seven.
5. Stanley Cup rematch no one cares about. There are memorable Stanley Cup Finals that create bad blood that lasts for years -- the Bruins and the Canucks, for instance. Then there are the lame ones no one remembers, like the Devils and the Kings. But maybe I'm wrong and there's still some soreness over how that Final ended. If so, the first rematch since that Final goes tonight. Expect a calm and courteous affair.
Bold Prediction: Oilers don't score.
- Ice Hockey
- Sports & Recreation
- Buffalo Sabres
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Edmonton Oilers
- San Jose Sharks