Here is the Puck Daddy Viewing Guide: Spotlighting five things to watch for during tonight's slate of games. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
Create-a-Caption: Actor Terry Crews and Los Angeles Kings mascot Bailey the Lion accepts the Most Awesome Mascot award onstage 4th Annual Cartoon Network Hall Of Game Awards.
• • • • •
Preview: Carolina Hurricanes at Buffalo Sabres, 7 p.m. ET.
• • • • •
Five things to know about tonight's NHL games ...
1. The NHL returns with a bang. This game was originally scheduled to be played on January 7, but a blizzard forced its postponement to today. It's perfect, in my opinion. What better way to jolt hockey fans back to the NHL than with a Carolina/Buffalo game? Sochi is over. It is OVER.
2. Miller's crossing. Ryan Miller has completed the Transatlantic flight home and will get the start for Buffalo. It could be one of his last in a Sabres uniform. The club is looking to move him before the deadline, along with guys like Steve Ott, Henrik Tallinder, and Matt Moulson.
3. John Scott on defense. One day after getting sent off the ice following an altercation with coach Ted Nolan, the Sabres' enforcer, usually deployed on the wing, will be playing on the blueline.
4. Carolina has Buffalo's number. The Hurricanes are 8-1-2 in their last 11 games versus Buffalo, and unbeaten in regulation over their last five visits.
5. Cody McCormick returns. The Sabres' most prolific fighter has missed the last 24 games with a finger injury, but he'll be back in the lineup tonight.
Bold prediction: Hurricanes win. Eric Staal with two goals.